Regarding extra light to existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am thinking of adding an extra light into a room. So there is already a ight in the room and I would like to add extra light which and I dont want extra switch for it. SO basically, both light be on or off at the same time.
The current light has a ceiling rose as per the pic attached and there are not enough connectors if I want to loop in extra light. Any idea what is the best solution in this case please? Thank you
ceiling rose.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you can get more than one wire in a connector position.

Thanks for that. Also, would like to confirm the wiring before I attempt it. So i want to add extra light in the room and use the exisitng switch ie both light to turn off or on at the same time. I want to know the configuration of the wires from exisitn light to the new light. So do i need to connect the loop from the existinf to loop in the new light and neutral to neutral? Or switch live to loop and neutral to neutral?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You connect the neutral (blue on new cable) of the new cable to the brass block with the two blacks and the blue flex.

You connect the live (brown on new cable) of the new cable to brass block that has one red and the brown flex.

You need to connect the new light wires to the same terminals as the existing light wires so it will work the same.

That is the Brown and Blue wires plus Earth at the rose.

...and you connect the earth to the earth block, using some green/yellow sleeving

Just for clarity:

So do i need to connect the loop from the existing to loop in the new light and neutral to neutral? Or switch live to loop and neutral to neutral?
The switched live; not the loop.

Also, the loop is normally in the middle block of the rose; yours is in the top block in the picture - the two reds.

Please see the wiring that ive done so far (please note that earth sleeve not added at the moment and will be added once i have them delivered).
on the existing light i have marked the new cable with the black lines. With this configuration, the new light is not coming on. Could you please have a look at the wiring and see what have i done wrong!!
2481DC42-B956-4B11-9AE1-7DC6A2BCDFC3.jpeg
9B105581-B758-47B9-A04E-AE7C43DA43C5.jpeg

TURN THE POWER FULLY OFF FIRST.

At the new light, the new brown needs removing from the middle brass block, and needs putting in the smaller brass block, next to where the brown pendant flex is.

At the old light, the new brown needs removing from where it is is, and needs to go in the smaller brass block, next to where the brown pendant flex is.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Its all working now after I’ve followed the instructions you guys provided. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back