Regional Sayings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Examples please:

Yorkshire: "Eeh - the things you see when you don't have a gun." Meaning, that's terrible, if I had a gun I would shoot it.

Sponsored Links
Years ago my old boss (who was Irish) would say

"I thought it was him, he thought it was me, but when we go up to each other, it was neither of us"

but i never undestood what it meant

Mate from SA says "wuka wuka fishpaste" meaning a load of drivel/ rubbish etc

as in ........and he gave me a load of wuka wuka fishpaste

So the first time i heard it, i presumed that wuka wuka was a brand of SA fish paste, but i couldn't figure out why some one would want to give him a load of fish paste, a tip yes, but fish paste?

honest. when i asked could i have a pot of wuka wuka fishpaste, he nearly died laughing, but now i know why

"you don't know you're born" - that's a northern one meaning "you have no comprehension of your good fortune"

"me and thee" - a Yorkshire one meaning "you and I"

"him what eats most pudding gets most meat" - A north-eastern one used with regards to the Sunday lunch.

I also know of a regional expression that was only used by people who weren't native to the region in question:

"NFN" - "Normal for Norfolk". One of those delightful medical terms used by non-Norfolk doctors in Norfolk to describe a patient who came across as slow, but that was just their mannerism. :LOL:

Yorkshire sayings

"Get in there with both feet" To describe a hungry person, Like pigs do at the food trough

" Id rather feed him for a week than a month" - He eats a lot

Sponsored Links
a greeting between two people ="like cake do ee?" reply "taddie cake" translated means "hello friend" reply "hello" this greeting can sometimes be "you ?" reply "cake"

Richardp said:
a greeting between two people ="like cake do ee?" reply "taddie cake" translated means "hello friend" reply "hello" this greeting can sometimes be "you ?" reply "cake"

No wonder some bu##er chopped that scilly lump off Cornwall and shoved it out to sea... :D :D

"Get your insides round the outsides of that" - I've only ever heard it in Sunderland, another "start eating" one :D

My Grandad from Derbyshire used to say "well knock me down with a one man beetle" which I used to think was totally stupid until one day I discovered that a beetle can be a heavy hammer for knocking down paving slabs. Now I only think it's a bit stupid.

Good old Yorkshire again.....

"You know what thought did ?" - In response to any statement commencing "I thought........" (apparently it followed a muckcart and thought it were a wedding)

"What's that got to do with the price of fish ?" - In response to any statement not entirely relevant to the conversation..

(Women ;) ) will draw you farther than powder`ll blow you....".Not a mucher, met." Not very good ,Mate Sussex Foresters ;)

when the gorse bush is in flower kissings in season. :eek:

fish stink after three days but wisdom is eternally sweet

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now: it's just a spring clean for the May Queen."

dunno about sayings but the ones who say the strangest things are the welsh

"throw me down the stairs my pencil" :LOL:

or seriously, i herd "hey, whoos coat is this jaaket"

Sponsored Links
Back