regrouting over old tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm trying to clean up the bathroom before we sell our house and have been cleaning the tiles. I've been able to clean them up pretty well but obviously after years of them being cleaned the grout between them has worn away a bit. I've called a few tilers but nobody wants the job of retiling them (understandable) because of potentially chipping the tiles and various other reasons. I was going to regrout them myself and went to b&q yesterday where they advised using unibond wall tile adhesive and grout over the top just to tidy them up? I've done a bit of research online and everywhere seems to say to take out the old grout first - can anyone help with this? I don't want to make a mess of the job but definitely need to get it tidied up!

Sponsored Links
Unless you dig out at least some of the existing grout ,you are unlikely to successfully get new grout to key.
You can buy a kind of pen ,that you run over the existing grout to brighten it ( bit like painting it ).

Take out the grout only way, if any consolation I need to do mine soon while I enjoy fitting tiles around fiddly bits, I hate grouting!:eek:
I will be using a multi tool with a carbide blade to clean them out.

Sponsored Links
I've got a grout pen so will try that first and see what happens but think you're right...its going to be a full regrout situation! will look into the tool i need, thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back