Regrouting wetroom shower/tray area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I had someone in to regrout/skim my bathroom floor as the grout had lifted in some places. The grout was fine in the shower area apart from the usual limescale build-up & the floor was tanked correctly 4 yrs ago & had never had a problem.

He attempted to remove the limescale & unfortunately during this process, 50% of the original grout was removed. He re-grouted the area again with Ardex-Flex which was used in the 1st instance 4 yrs ago.
In error, the shower was used less than 24hrs after the grouting & immediately we could see in areas, when putting foot pressure, water seeping up through the re grouted area. The shower hasn't been used since.

This was 7 days ago & the moisture has almost disappeared when walking in the above area's but, I'm now unsure what to do from here?

*Has the grout laid last week now of no use because of becoming wet so soon because of running the shower - should this be removed, dry area completely & re-grouted?
*Has this moisture now ruined the tanked shower section altogether now that water has obviously got in?
*Is there a beneficial sealant that can be applied, once grout has properly dried - how long ideally shd you leave the grout to dry properly within a wetroom area.

Thanks & appreciate your feedback

Sponsored Links
I'm sure he used a grout remover so, basically he removed the limescale as well as the grout. As mentioned, he regrouted the area again & the above problem arose.

I was in B&Q yesterday & spotted Unibond Flexi-Mix Additive - wondering if this can be added when re-grouting the area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First...tap your tiles and listen for any hollow sounds..and if so...

You have trouble ...lift the lot...

You could/would have water penetration under the tiles thus a de-bonding off tile off the floor and the adhesive broken down with the water penetration through....the not SET GROUT...

Wetroom grout should have been left for a min off 7days before shower use..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back