Regs for extending RFC and lighting circuit

Part P of The Building Regulations:

upload_2022-1-29_14-25-50.png

That's it; there is no more.

So, they probably mean something else.

Yes, you may do all the work and certificates if the BCO deems you competent.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a chat with them and see what they say. I suppose it will come down to if I can convince him that I'm competent or not..... seems a bit flakey really, that it basically comes down to someone's opinion.

I might have been thinking of notifiable work where you have to employ a registered electrician OR pay the BCO a fee before the work is started (might be included in the building notice) in which case they will then deem you competent or not.

For non-notifiable work I suppose you could just get on with it BUT if the BCO then finds something they don't like you would be back to square one anyway so you would be better off talking to them in the first place.

As Eric mentioned, often people are told something like "You must have a fan in the bathroom". This is not the case but if that is what your BCO thinks because they have not read the regulations correctly then what can you do - other than lengthy awkward discussions or worse - to get your Completion Certificate?

There are lots of jobsworths around. Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

Sponsored Links
As Eric mentioned, often people are told something like "You must have a fan in the bathroom". This is not the case but if that is what your BCO thinks because they have not read the regulations correctly ....
I think it's actually 'worse' than that.

Even if the BCO has "read the regulations correctly" (well, actually, 'the law', in the form of the various 'Parts' of the Building Regulations), the requirements of all of those 'Parts' are so vague and lacking in detail that considerable individual judgment is required in deciding what does, or does not, satisfy the law - and such judgements will obviously, and legitimately, vary between individuals.
.... then what can you do - other than lengthy awkward discussions or worse - to get your Completion Certificate?
That's the catch. Even for those who had adequate knowledge/qualifications so to do (and that presumably includes almost no DIYers) trying to argue about the technical interpretation of what would satisfy very vague laws could be an exceeding tedious and time-consuming process, with no guarantee of 'success'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back