Extending a ring - ok with regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've looked at the posts on the forum but I'm still not clear: if I want to extend a ring to add two new sockets, can I do this within the current regs or do I need to get it certified?

I'll have to use a JB or 2 to do this as there is only one socket in the room and it's not feasible to dig this out to extend from there.

Sponsored Links
Adding sockets no problem as long as it is not kitchen/ bathroom/ outside.

Jb HAS to be accessible. If not, you must crimp.

Adding sockets with spurs is no problem, I know that much. I'm just concerned that extending the ring this way and using JBs that I am going against the regs. Can anyone confirm this or put me at ease please??

Secure answered your question but to repeat: It is fine to extend the ring using junction boxes so long as they are accessible.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Jb HAS to be accessible. If not, you must crimp.

So crimps do not have to be accessible? I know that you can bury crimps in plaster (suitably protected of course) but I thought any joints not buried still had to be accessible.

Good news if not because I need to extend a couple of cables and was concerned as they are in the ceiling between ground and first floors.

Thanks in advance.

by accessible, does this include under floor boards, under a carpet?

I mean anything is accessible with enough force!

Nope, under a floor under the carpet is not considered to be accessable!! If there were sufficient labelling, markings and readily accessable access traps it may be OK, otherwise how would anyone know they are there?

obmitty said:
by accessible, does this include under floor boards, under a carpet?

I mean anything is accessible with enough force!

I said:
All joints not classed as permanent MUST be accessible. Accessible isn't clearly defined within the regs which is why lazy people often put them in places not regarded as accessible when something actually goes wrong.

If there was a fault and your lights/sockets failed, how would you feel having to empty a room, rip up the flooring and then pry up some floorboards until you find the JB?

Morale of this story is: think about where you are putting them and then think under what circumstances would you be looking for them... It might make you reconsider putting them in stupid places that are difficult to get to :LOL:

I just don't see how else it can be done other than under floor boards... Can you get wall mounted junction boxes?

Junction boxes have 2 holes for you to screw it to the surface you want it. Anything that can hold a screw you can mount a junction box to, and if you can't screw it to something, you can usually glue it.

What makes you think junction boxes can only be used under floors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back