Regs on boiler flue brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new boiler fitted - really stressful time - this is my third one in 20+ years.

It was making a symphony of loud whining, humming, and whirring noises so I was told by the installer to call Worcester Bosch (WB).

The WB engineer fixed a high-frequency noise that was causing my ears to pop but then said that I needed a bracket from my boiler flue to the wall - issued a danger do not use notice - and that the 10-year guarantee on my boiler was no longer valid until I got one fitted.

In the 20+ years I've lived in the house there has never been a bracket from the flue to the wall - and according to the WB manual (Worcester Greenstar 4000 25 kw) it seems they are only needed every 1 m - my flue is about 0.4 M.

Any feedback would be welcome - the relationship between me and my boiler is starting to break down

Attachments

• flue_boiler.jpg
    flue_boiler.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
@martyndc88? I would ring WB technical helpline, explain the situation and how much stress it’s caused you. If they’re incorrect they should send someone to reinstate imo.

Where the flue goes into the ceiling, is there a void between there and the roof ? or is that the actual roof ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The manual also states a bracket at every change of direction. Which you have. Also the flue might not be screwed correctly to the adapter. We can't undermine a qualified engineers judgement from a picture alone unfortunately. And just because it's never had one before, doesn't mean it's never needed one before. The flue is the most important part of that appliance, it needs to be right.
WB aren't unreasonable, just get your installer to fit a bracket and the guarantee will be honoured.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
@martyndc88? I would ring WB technical helpline, explain the situation and how much stress it’s caused you. If they’re incorrect they should send someone to reinstate imo.
I rang them straight away - they agreed with the installer and stated that the installation instructions says that if the flue is longer than 15 cm there needs to be a bracket - but I had the same installation manual and could not find where it said that - I asked for the page number but he didn't reply and therefore thought I'd try to confirm it somehow.

• Thanks
Where the flue goes into the ceiling, is there a void between there and the roof ? or is that the actual roof ?
It is the actual roof - it is an open-plan converted chapel - the living area is upstairs where all the windows are and the sleeping area and bathrooms are downstairs
- just as I am writing this it is gurgling - I think the settings need tweaking a bit too because I only have 2 large single-panel rads and two small ones - it gurgles after running a bath as well though. The engineer said it is probably air in the system but I have bled the rads and no air comes out.

was the engineer a direct Worcester employee ? it sound like you condensate is blocked

The manual also states a bracket at every change of direction. Which you have. Also the flue might not be screwed correctly to the adapter. We can't undermine a qualified engineers judgement from a picture alone unfortunately. And just because it's never had one before, doesn't mean it's never needed one before. The flue is the most important part of that appliance, it needs to be right.
WB aren't unreasonable, just get your installer to fit a bracket and the guarantee will be honoured.
yeh, I was wondering if that made a difference - the elbows? My first boiler had a straight flue - the second was a Baxi and that was when the elbows first appeared - I would prefer the bracket to be closer to the wall and was wondering if it is possible to replace the flue I have now with a straight flue? WB also claim the boiler is quiet and I am not finding that at all - it is on a party wall and one of my main criteria was that it was quiet but it makes noises like a vacuum cleaner and has a whirring fan that runs for 30 seconds every time you turn of the tap or the heating stops - hell hath no fury like a neighbour scorned :) I am a bit conscious about turning on the tap. It has a 10-year guarantee but it will probably be in the scrapyard way before that :)

was the engineer a direct Worcester employee ? it sound like you condensate is blocked
Yes, it was a direct Worcester employee - maybe I need an independent company to check the whole system and the flue - there is a local company that I could try - they are Worester Bosch installers too

I wouldnt bracket that but if they want it done just do it the brackets are not expensive, and then tell them to get back and sort it under their guarentee

• Thanks
All boilers will have a fan and pump over run after a demand, I'd suspect what you're describing is the pump overrun, especially as you have such a small system. Something your installer should really configure in the settings. To answer your question in the straight flue, I'd imagine you could, but it'd mean altering the opening in the room and kitchen ceiling, the installer has just used the old flue hole.

• Thanks
Good reason to call back the installer and ask him to fix it, depending upon how recently the "just been done" actually is.

Good reason to call back the installer and ask him to fix it, depending upon how recently the "just been done" actually is.
It's only a few weeks ago - 20th Oct - yeh I think I should get the bracket fitted and get the boiler sorted - at least it heats the water and radiators really well - not going to freeze but will have a bad headache by spring :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back