Regs Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having previously been in the electrical industry for more years than I care to remember, I now find that since 2005, I am no longer considered competent by this government (yes the same government that has competently managed the UK Banking system) to carry out simple improvements to my home electrical system, and that I now need to put my families life into the hands of some spotty kid who is running around with some sort of self certifying badge of honour.

Needless to say, to keep the bureaucrats happy, I am looking for a legal way of doing the work myself and then getting it tested/inspected on completion,
Advice please

Sponsored Links
Notify local building control of your intentions before starting the work, pay their fee, carry out first fix, have BCO inspect, carry out second fix and then have BCO inspect and test, and issue you with a certificate. In theory, at least. LABCs seem to be a law unto themselves, and some insist that you must pay for an electrician to inspect and test the finished product.

Another option would be for you to become a member of a self certification scheme to allow you to certify your own work, but it seems pointless going down this route as it will cost far more than having the LABC inspect for the sake of a single job. You would also need to ensure that all your qualifications are up to the minimum required to join the scheme, which if you haven't been working in the industry for some time, they may not be.

EDIT: I should have just linked to this:> //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Sponsored Links
Please let us know how you get on with your LABC regarding testing and EICs or MWCs (and which LABC is it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back