Regs Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(REGARDING SHOWER INSTALLATION)

a wall mounted switch can be used instead so long as it is at least 2.5m (8ft 3in) away from both the shower and the bath (it can be within 600mm - 2ft- of the closed sides of a shower cubicle in a room without a bath) or else is situated outside the room where the shower is fitted.

What i want to know is, has this been changed, amended in any way?
my book is about 18 months old...

Sponsored Links
The quote was from Mike Lawrence wiring systems, he has a little section on wiring regulations, now i have just been flicking through the regs and i cannot find the quote, i use mainly brian scaddans book on the regs, and the OSG,....forgive me for critisising the sparky bible, but the book itself really bores me before i even flick a page...

If anybody knows where it is let me know please

You're looking at zones in a room containing a fixed bath or shower.

Insulating pullcords of switches complying with BS3676 are permitted in Z1, 2 & 3.

The switches themselves are permitted in Z3 or outside the zones. If you have an airing cupboard, that is outside the zones.

Sponsored Links
Section 6 of regs book. The switch can be installed in zone 3 or outside of zones

Thanks for replies, now their is a certain building inspector were i live who really should be on this forum himself, i put a wall mounted switch in airing cupboard, and he reckons (i wasnt there at time, he told customer) that it shouldnt be there, he said there was changes made in february this year....but its 1st i have heard

If you can talk to him, ask him on what grounds it is not to regulation. AFAIK, the airing cupboard is outside the zones and therefore you can fit switches in there.

If he complains, ask him if a pull cord would be OK. I have put wall-mounted pull-cords in before now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back