Regs re bathrooms - 14th Ed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know, I know. I've got a copy of the 14th and it fascinates me, but humour me here...

I see that in the 14th, no socket outlets (other than BS 3052 ones) are permitted.

So, assuming there have been electricians (and DIY'ers) all through the ages that have broken this rule, why do 99.9999% of sockets I find in bathrooms date back to the 14th Ed.?

I've only ever found ONE in a bathroom that was installed to a later edition (the 16th):

BathroomSocketIII.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the sockets were in the rooms before the bath.
The 14th stated fixed bath,
From what I hear a lot of people never had fixed baths years ago,
Just big metal tubs.

Fair point, but in my experience, they're all like this, in places where you wouldn't find sockets in a room before a bath was installed or even used:

SocketInBathroom.jpg

It's on the ceiling, BTW!

Is that an old MK socket on a wooden mounting block ? Found a few of them under thrown under floorboards in LA housing round Cheshire area.

Sponsored Links
Seen one similar at high level, on the wall though, was for one of them bar heaters.
Like your's , it also looked installed the time of the 14th regs , but then again they ran from 1966 to 1981 I think.

Maybe it was not in the 13th and the 14th update course was not too good.

Similar to the 16th update with the kitchen bonding!
and now with the 17th update and bathroom bonding!

I read once it was bad practice to put a standard 13a upside down, due to possible arcing if the plug pulls slightly out.

Was never able to find a reg to confirm it though.

I live in Cheshire, but that photo was taken in a house in Nottingham.

Yes, I do get about... :cry:

Hey! I get enough of that from my colleagues! They all think I was brought up on the 14th!

In fact, I was born the same year the 14th was issued and started my electrical career on the 15th.

It was a serious question ( the first bit).

I have one with 1976 amendments, which ran till 1981,when the 15th came out.

There was a 13th regs for sale on e-bay recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back