Regulations for Gas Hob on a Kitchen Island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently in the planning process for some building works, and also the early stages of a kitchen design. We have been intending to reuse our existing 5 burner gas hob on a long kitchen island but I wanted to find out if there are any Gas Safe/Building regulations if there are any restrictions for positioning of the gas hob? i.e. I am aware that an electrical socket needs to be 300mm away from a gas hob so is there any regulation for the distance from the hob to the back or side edge of the worktop given that it will probably be open. Essentially I am trying to find out the minimum depth of the worktop for the island.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi

Currently in the planning process for some building works, and also the early stages of a kitchen design. We have been intending to reuse our existing 5 burner gas hob on a long kitchen island but I wanted to find out if there are any Gas Safe/Building regulations if there are any restrictions for positioning of the gas hob? i.e. I am aware that an electrical socket needs to be 300mm away from a gas hob so is there any regulation for the distance from the hob to the back or side edge of the worktop given that it will probably be open. Essentially I am trying to find out the minimum depth of the worktop for the island.

Thanks in advance

There are very few actual rules as far as clearances go. Especially clearances to thin air :) . Manufacturers, on the other hand may stipulate requirements, which MUST be complied with.check the manufacturers instructions. Common sense dictates enough surface area to avoid pan handles protruding, causing a danger to/by those moving past.

Hi

Thanks in advance

MI's are your Bible on this one.
Are you having an extractor above the hob? They're always fun to design in and install and come with stipulations of their own.

Thanks for the replies and I will take these points on board.
I was thinking of a low profile ceiling mounted extractor. Somebody else mentioned a pop-up but I've read that not all are compatible with gas hobs and I suspect that it would have to be re-circulation to the floor under the island unit due to the construction of the house.

Sponsored Links
neff hob.jpg
We have been intending to reuse our existing 5 burner gas hob
as mentioned have a read of the supplied installation instruction book. Did my kitchen last year, have previously considered an island but went with a tee type worktop.
The sink is adjacent to the hob,the hob area provides an extended breakfast bar area.

The new hob stated no instructions for an island installation,just follow the dimension stated in their literature.

The user instructions mentions a lot of safety aspects,a lot is common sense but the first bullet point says it must only be used and supervised by a responsible adult.

fitted a ceiling mounted glass canopy neff extractor system to outside,almost transparent when clean (n). Sold the place now :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back