Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope someone can advise me.

I am just having an extension built to my house. I'm not a pro, just a DIYer and in the past, I've always done my own work (extending the ring, adding spurs and extending the lighting circuit etc). I've always done it with regs in mind and it's always gone OK. My intention with the extension was to wire it myself and then get an electrician I know to check it all and connect it all to a new consumer unit which he will fit. (I've run out of outlets on my current one) However, now that the Government have introduced these new rules I'm a bit unsure. All this about notifying the LABC is beyone me. Can I not just do what I propose?

Sponsored Links
If you search Part P in this forum all become clear…or as clear as it’s going to get.

As part of your building reg approval for your extension you are normally asked if your doing the wiring yourself or plan use a sparks/company who can self certify. I had to sign a separate form to declare that I was going to self certify. If you choose to do it yourself you will need to submit some designs as you’ve done for the rest of the works.

Once you’ve read a bit feel free to come back with some more questions because there are a few people on here who know it backwards

pensdown - thank's very much for your reply. Having read through Part P (I was aware of it but had never read the small print) I can see that the nanny state is well and truly with us to stay. I'm also possibly infringing electricians human rights also. Rather than risk some draconian measure, I'm going to give up and shell out for an electrician to do all of the work. I've nothing aginst sparky's, but this law is a licence to print money. Oh well, it means I won't be able to bring wires diagonally down walls, fit sockets without earths, fit normal sockets next to the bath and run 57 sockets off one spur - the usual stuff every DIYer does.

Incidentally, I submitted (and had approved) my plans for planning permission and building regs approval and so far they have not mentioned anything about electrics.

I know I'm ranting, but that's what the internet is for. Thanks for your help.

the_jinj - Not sure what you're getting at, but it's all academic anyway.

Sponsored Links
the jinj - I'm not having a go - By the way, your extension to the shed is very funny! (Took my mind off ranting anyway)

SteveGarn said:
the_jinj - Not sure what you're getting at, but it's all academic anyway.

Sorry....was getting at the fact that 99% of DIY'ers in that position would go ahead and do it anyway - probably because they aren't aware of Part P or the likes....

D- for me...must try harder :oops:

SteveGarn said:
the jinj - I'm not having a go - By the way, your extension to the shed is very funny! (Took my mind off ranting anyway)

In case you never noticed you've not to try these techniques at home - the MODS wanted that pointed out just incase you decided they were good ideas ;)

I think even I realised that! I think it illustrates how many muppets are out there which Part P is supposed to stop. However, my point is that just because you're not a sparky doesn't mean you're a muppet.

By the way, these are set-ups aren't they? They can't be real............?

Most were real unfortunately (as far as I know) - apart from Adams 'spoon socket' - these guys are available for installs at good rates ;)

Yeah, I do good rates on installing spoons as well :), just finished a kitchen as well as a matter of fact, think RF has posted some pics for me :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back