rehau warrantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
I had a conservatory built 9.5 years ago, using rehau widows and french doors and utraframe roof.
One door and one side window has started misting up on the inside of the outer glass.
I cannot contact the builder, as I don't know if he still operates, ( I 'm looking into that), but, what's the length of rehau units?
They are just short of 10 years, which isn't old, the rest of my house is 20 year old units, and are ok.
Is it worth contacting rehau first, or chase the builder?
Or, have I a leg to stand on?
Any advice would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately its got nothing to do with Rehau, they just extrude the pvc then sell it to a fabricator who in turn makes doors, windows and conservatories with it, they have nothing to do with the finished product.

Your first port of call should be with the people you have the contract with i.e. the builder, if he's not contacable anymore then its possible he's ceased trading in which case you need to dig out all your paperwork and check your guarantee, he should of provided you with a 10 year insurance backed guarantee, if you find this try ringing the insurer, they will do some checks whether he's still trading or not, if not the the IBG kicks in and they'll send out a contractor much like the one i work for who will come and measure up and pass it back to the insurer who will approve or decline the claim, if approved you'll get a new dgu fitted, if declined then you won't and will have to buy a new dgu yourself

Reason for declining the claim will depend on what the policy covers each element for and for how long, most policies are 10 years but only the frames are covered for that, you might find the glass units are only covered for 5 years and metallic moving parts i.e. handles, hinges and locks will only be 1 year; this is whats called a 10-5-1 policy, other policies are 10-10-10, it all depends what you have

Its widely accepted within the indusrty now that units only have a 5 year life, crap i know but thats how it is

If it was done by a builder rather than a window/conservatory company I doubt you will have guarantees or an IBG.

Unless you paid the factory directly for the conservatory your contract will have been with the builder so he would have to be the one to chase as the factory will only deal directly with the person/company that purchased it.

Take some rough sizes and get some estimates from local double glazing company's. They would probably charge around £200 to measure, supply and fit new units.
Your on the right forum if you decide to fix it your self, The glass would probably cost about £100.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys, It was a guy who does conservatories/windows.
He's still operating, but cannot contact him, I have receipt only, that's my guarantee.I tried to get him back just after it was built, but, very hard, so doubt if it's worth trying, after what you say about units.
Just replace them myself, or get them redone with a local company, when they get too bad.
Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back