Reinforcing apartment wooden door on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to reinforce a friend's apartment door on a tight budget. Its unglazed and fairly solid, not hollow but not great. It has four strong hinges and a decent lock. We are going to add deadlocks top and bottom plus metal reinforcing down the hinge and lock jambs. I'll know more about the construction when we fit the locks.

My only question is to protect the door from breaking up the middle if kicked. The cheap local options seem to be either a 1.5mm steel plate across the entire back of the door, fixed all around, and painted. Or some 5mm steel flat bars, maybe 5 or so, 25mmx760mm, fitted across the door back horizontally. Which sounds better?

I know that a determined burglar will get through anything, we just need to do the best job with the budget.

Hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
The hinges do seem strong, so I am not worried about adding a little weight to the door. You think ply (9mm?) would do a better job of stopping it splitting down the middle from a kick than 1.5mm steel? I guess the ply is a little flexible which might be a benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back