Reinforcing kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am little bit worried that after chopping out the sink and drainer from my work top it will be left a little bit weak.

The sink will be above a 600 unit, and the drainer will be floating over the dishwasher, with no support underneath it, then it continues to float for another 600 until it rests on a batton on the far wall.

I had thought about reinforcing it with some steel banding, running the circular saw 20mm through the work top then placing a steel joist reinforcer in to the slot with some glue.

however i bought some banding which is 30mm, but the worktop is only 40mm. I am worried if i run the saw so deep through the top i might cause more problems than i will fix?

does anyone know where is could steel plate 1200x20x0.5 or where to google it.

I could leave the band i have protruding from the cut and then cut them into the top of the cabinet?

does anyone have any other ideas?#

Cheers
A

Sponsored Links
it would appear that i am worrying over nothing.

I was only worrying as i have only ever seen sinks, and drainers fitted over two cabinets.

thanks for the info.
A

You could fit a small batten to the wall between the two units to provide extra strength if required or some angle brackets fixed to the wall. But as previously mentioned the sink will add strength.

Sponsored Links
hi guys. thanks for the reply , will add the batton at the back of the units. and fingers crossed the front doesn't flex to much.

cheers adrian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back