Rejoining staple sticks? Is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

sorry for the confusion about to follow.

my staple gun/nail gun, which I have kind of “broken” the spring has lost strength and needing to keep the magazine full allows it to work perfectly. So, due to this, some of the staple and nail sticks are smaller than a full stick.

so, as the pack of staples come as a stick of staples stuck together, and they break off when the staple goes into whatever is being done. I was wondering if I can add all those small sections together to create a new strip, if so how? I must have about 1000 staples in sets from 5-20, that I would like to use, but the gun “misses” the staples on small stickers as the spring doesn’t push these staples squarely.

any chance this can be done?

Sponsored Links
much easer just load the odd staples minimum 5 stuck together until the magazine is full
the five together is to keep them from leaning and dragging or jambing whilst loading
when you say you have broken the spring do you men it jambs ??
have you got a picture ??

Last edited:
Buy the same make and model staple gun, take it home, then return the faulty one as broken and ask for a refund.

A bit immoral I agree, but that's what some people do. One of my sisters-in-law did it with a jar of face cream that was 5 years old many years ago. She'd had the original but only used a tiny bit. When she took it back, with the new receipt, she got more than double what she paid for the original. She then gave the new one to a friend as a birthday present.

Sponsored Links
The spring is still there, looks like nothing is wrong with it, but the spring is not as springy as it should, so, the pressure to keep the smaller staple sticks aligned correctly isn’t enough to use on multiple small sticks so it twists to the point it has no staple ready to fire.

This issue is resolved when using longer sticks, and I now have a box of small sticks of staples that will be a waste if I can’t (even temporarily) rejoin them.

I was thinking as the manufacturer is able to join them together, is it possible to rejoin them that I haven’t heard of before? So I thought best ask you guys as your experience over my poor google searches would give a better result.

If they are like the strips of 16 and 18 gauge pins used for 2nd fix joinery then the manufacturer doesn't join them - they start with a shaped piece of metal which is passed through two shaped rollers that almost cut through the metal but not quite leaving each pin or staple connected to the next by a strip of steel no thicker than a Rizla paper. A quick look at the staples through a pocket magnifier might be able to confirm this

Makes perfect sense now thank you for clarifying this for me.

When I go through the last box of 1000 staples I will order more, but what should or could I do with loads of small sections?

...what should or could I do with loads of small sections?
When you insert a new stick, put a shoet section or two in first, before loading the new stick? You will eventually use up a your stubby bits

I have tried this, but most likely to work up to 10staples give or take, I am sure the spring tension is wrong somehow. The staples just don’t get pushed to the end to staple when using smaller stacks of staples…

Buy the same make and model staple gun, take it home, then return the faulty one as broken and ask for a refund.

A bit immoral I agree, but that's what some people do. One of my sisters-in-law did it with a jar of face cream that was 5 years old many years ago. She'd had the original but only used a tiny bit. When she took it back, with the new receipt, she got more than double what she paid for the original. She then gave the new one to a friend as a birthday present.
I did exactly this with a smoke alarm the other day. Though in my defence that's only because I'd lost the original receipt, of course it only works if it doesn't look like it's been through the mill. :)

I have accidentally done this myself too btw… amazon reassured me it was all okay.

I think in 2019… definitely before summer of 2019, I brought a good Bluetooth outdoor speaker, but the charging port broke, so as I was away, I bought a new one, knowing I could get a refund on the broken one, so it arrived and I set up the new one, I returned the broken one as the new one…

Back on the stapler, can I get new replacement springs for a Stanley staple/nailer?

Probably not, but Stanley do have spares for some tools on their website, so take a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back