LED Strip Tape on Ceiling - Sticking Plasterboard to Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put up a new ceiling and would like to fit LED strip tape around the edge, about 25cm from the wall. The strip tape will sit behind a silicone diffuser such as eBay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266101406404

The diffuser has a depth of 8mm, so I'm thinking of using 9.5mm plasterboard and cutting out the channel before fitting. The channel needs to be 10mm wide. To bridge the back of the channel, I'm thinking of gluing strips of plasterboard so that it remains one rigid piece, and for sticking the LED tape on this. It's a hallway so I'm planning to use tapered edge boards (and will not be skimming).

What I'm least sure about is when it comes to sticking the plasterboard to plasterboard (for bridging the back of the channel). Obviously I need it tight together, so not bonding compound. As it'll be about 8 meters, superglue would work out very expensive. I'm thinking about a tube of "No More Nails" (or similar brand).

What would bond plasterboard to plasterboard best?

Also, if anyone has installed an LED diffuser in a ceiling before - any pitfalls to look out for?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I'd go with a polymer grab myself.
I like stixall white

Could used board adhesive or easyfill 20 but I think the polymer is easy to use with high grab.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest, how are you going to cut this channel of which you speak?
I'm planning to put the boards up against the joists using plasterboard support rods, get them to fit then mark everything out. Bring them back down and cut the 10mm channel with a Stanley knife, then bond plasterboard strips over the channel with:

The silicone diffuser has a 2mm lip each side so it's a bit forgiving if my cuts aren't perfect.

s-l1600.jpg

Hmm. Sounds fairly ambitious- have you done any test cuts yet? Generally when you use a Stanley on plasterboard you aren't cutting the plaster, just the paper- the plaster then snaps cos nothing is supporting it. Whittling plasterboard with a Stanley is not a precision exercise.
I'd suggest getting a gash lump of plasterboard and having a go before you commit to it too far. If I was doing it I'd be finding a cheap 10mm router cutter and trying that. Or even a circular saw with a cr*p blade and a depth stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back