relacing a radiator some questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hi have a radiator in the bathroom which has had the bleed valve snapped off.
The bleed valve on the other rads are just a square bolt that goes straight into the rad so i am guessing that it would need drilling out and replacing.
now looking at the costs of small radiators ( around £30) i dont think it would be worth it.

so onto my questions
the house is a Berkley homes new build ( I say new but its now 8years old)

I have attached a diagram of sorts of the radiator in my album
it doesnt seem to be a standard size or are radiator sizes rounded up?

does anyone ( some one who owns a Berkley home or has worked for them )have an idea of what make the radiators are likely to be.?

are valves interchangeable and would i be able to use my existing valves?

the idea i have is to swap over the radiator with the minimum of fuss.

all help and advice is appreciated.

As ever thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Denso

that looks like it would fit the bill
Is there a definitive way to check rather than trial and error?
do manufacturers print their brand on the radiators any where?

thanks

They don't have the makers name on them but it certainly sounds like a Myson with the bleed screw as part of the radiator.

Your local Plumb Center might have one in stock. Ask nicely and they'll probably let you look at it for a comparison. Or if you want to make sure take the old one with you, it's only a 5 minute job to remove it ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that advice.
I think thats what i will do.

Having looked on the net on how to remove a radiator it seems fairly easy- shut both valves off and unbolt the "join" to drain the rad.
is that really all there is?
all the guides say to open the bleed valve to let the air in to "force" the water out. obviously i cant do that so will that cause any problems.

finally i presume installation is just the reverse of the process. I dont have a combi boiler so do i just install and open the valves.

many thanks in advance

Opening the bleed nipple just allows air in and prevents the water glugging out.
Your new rad will automatically fill from the tank in the loft (or should do), and you may like to consider adding some more inhibitor. It depends on how much was in the system in the first place.
John :)

Opening the bleed nipple just allows air in and prevents the water glugging out.
Your new rad will automatically fill from the tank in the loft (or should do), and you may like to consider adding some more inhibitor. It depends on how much was in the system in the first place.
John :)
??

how much what

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back