Relay Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have the old fashioned system, boiler downstairs in a cupboard - hot water storage tank upstairs. Basically, this is whats happening. As soon as I have hot water in the storage tank, the boiler switches off and I have no heating.

I have a maintenance package in place but it doesn't cover relays. The engineer has left a report saying.

"Relay in airing cupboard not switching to heating. Advise system is rewired with conventional domestic heating controls by third party as relays are not covered".

What are conventional domestic heating controls? Also, should I ask the third party heating engineer to remove the relay?

I just want to be a bit clearer on what I am asking for from engineer.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
This is the relay. There is no thermostatic room valve.

Attachments

• IMG-20210108-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210108-WA0004.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 122
Looks like a mid position valve to me .
Do you have a room thermostat ?
Show pic of the programmer / timer

Sponsored Links
I just found a clip on youtube - saying a temporary solution is to flick a switch over on the valve until it's replaced. Any ideas if this is applicable to my valve?

Yes it may well do.
Show pics of your programmer/ timer.
And do you have a room thermostat?

1. As terryplumb says, that is not a relay, it is a three port motorised valve.
2. In consequence, the report of the engineer is wrong, if that is what he / she was referring to.
3. Your valve appears to have a manual override lever. Looks like its on the underside, to the right of the cable entry point.
4. Switching it to manual may not fire the boiler, but if the boiler does run, then the heating will come on.

This is the relay. There is no thermostatic room valve.

That is the 3-port valve which directs boiler heat to the HW cylinder, or the CH radiators, it is not a relay. Any boiler/heating engineer should know that.

3-port valves do stick, jam and their motors fail sometimes. The head/actuator part is usually separately replaceable from the valve part. Somewhere you will have a room thermostat, wall thermostat - maybe an old fashioned type which clicks as the temperature dial setting is moved up and down, that will control the 3-port valve and when turned up, should move the valve to CH, start the pump and have the boiler fire to meet the demand for heat.

I just found a clip on youtube - saying a temporary solution is to flick a switch over on the valve until it's replaced. Any ideas if this is applicable to my valve?

Yes, try that! It might be a bit hard to turn, but it should latch.

Time to sack the maintenance company maybe? Looks like a standard setup to me

Sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying that isn't a relay and is just part of the plumbing?

If it's not a relay - then I take it there won't be a switch to flick over for the heating?

Some just cover maintenance of the actual boiler alone with an annual check. Money for old rope. She would be far better and cheaper getting a local guy in once a year whom she could call upon for any repairs like this - then they might have more of a clue and perhaps know the difference between a relay and a 3-port valve?

Sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying that isn't a relay and is just part of the plumbing?

If it's not a relay - then I take it there won't be a switch to flick over for the heating?
The bit you've taken a photo of certainly isn't a relay, it's a standard 3-port valve. The changeover lever is here. As others have said though, it won't fire up the boiler moving it to the manual position, it'll just let heated water through to the radiators when the boiler fires up.

sketch-1611228664756.png

As a temporary fix, remove the clamp on stat on cylinder and let it sit on floor.
Latch lever on valve to the open position.
You will have VERY HOT tap water but also heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back