Relay Problem

Sponsored Links
The relay is redundant with the new valve. All the wiring necessary is there so it just needs rewiring as a normal Y plan. If your insurers don't want to do it, then you should have no problem in getting another experienced heating technician. It would be a relatively simple job to fit a wireless room stat at the same time. It may be a bargaining point to suggest to your insurers that you want this doing also and would pay if they complete the job they should do.

I would not like to say the relay can't control valve, my system has a relay, should have two but that is a summer job, the motorised valve has a micro switch that should power the boiler and pump, but my house has two pumps, so the motorised valve powers the relay and the pump, and the relay powers the boiler.

But if one was to look at a standard C Plan which my system uses, often not even a motorised valve.

When I did mine it was a real mess, and I simply labelled cables and started again, for me not a problem I am an electrical engineer, but the guy who services the boiler admits he does not understand how my system is wired, I don't understand how to set oil pressures, don't really want to, he sets them. But I spend around ½ a day fitting thermostats, wiring centres, and more time to draw out the plan before I started, and I can see why a heating engineer would not want to spend that time sorting out something which is not a break down.

We had the same with father-in-laws house, my brother-in-law lived 50 miles away, so wanted a maintenance contract, but the people who he selected wanted it all running A1 before they took it over, they refused because the water was too dirty, had the system flushed and they still refused, taken the money, but would not take it over as they it seemed wanted paying to do the flushing, father-in-law died and house sold and still not sorted, central heating ripped out by new owners and replaced, then finally we got the money back.

The relay is redundant with the new valve. All the wiring necessary is there so it just needs rewiring as a normal Y plan. If your insurers don't want to do it, then you should have no problem in getting another experienced heating technician. It would be a relatively simple job to fit a wireless room stat at the same time. It may be a bargaining point to suggest to your insurers that you want this doing also and would pay if they complete the job they should do.

I had already asked if I could simply pay for the work to be done (if it wasn't covered) - but the answer was no! I think its because I was asking Baxi, but Baxi are contracted by D&G.

Sponsored Links
Ouch. Kind of right but if I had been using my house, I would have realised this a long way back. Have been aware of the problem since Christmas.

Thank you all for your patience.

Just one other question - when I get competent person in to sort the wiring, would I be able to ask for a room thermostat/timer to be connected as there are only TRV's on the radiators. Basically, my question here is will a room thermostat trigger any problems?

Yes, you can have a room stat installed and there ought to be one anyway.

Have the relay removed , new programmer , cylinder stat and rf room stat, rewire as a standard y plan and your problem is solved, just about any heating installer will be able to quote for the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back