Relay wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I'm very stuck.

I need to wire up a relay, it's for a cheese curing fridge project that in working on. I know what I'm doing except when it comes to this replay (I may have the wrong one).

Also, I have little electronic knowledge so please be gentle....

This is what I have bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201097311707

What I want it to do is switch the power on and off to a fridge, I propose to use an extension lead and wire in the relay in line to the earth feed.
I have a also got one of these (or very similar) to control everything:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181106804925 - this item I understand and have running.

My issue is how to wire the relay. I was anticipating a 4 pin relay, electromagnet in and out and switch in and out, that I could have handled.
Instead I have an 8 pin relay with no wiring diagram or numbering and even if I had one how do I know which spade terminals connect to which screw connectors!

Can anyone tell me in plain English which wire should go where please?

Many thanks in advance.
[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The item from eBay:

has a 5 amp current rating so if you only switched the live, you could get away with just using this,
since it has its own relay built into it.

Can anyone tell me in plain English which wire should go where please?
No - if you don't have a wiring diagram or other information on these two items, then there is no way that anyone else could possibly know anything about them or what you intend to do with them.

You also appear to have a 110V AC thermostat, and a relay which has a 12V DC coil to switch a 240V AC load - unclear how those items could work together in any circumstances.

Hopefully this is a mistake:
I propose to use an extension lead and wire in the relay in line to the earth feed.

The relay from eBay:
seems to have writing on top of it, this will tell you what pin does what.
The description is "Pro 220V Coil Power Relay 10A DPDT " which means
The coil needs 220volts to energise
It can switch 10 amps
It is double pole, double throw configuration, like this:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments already, I'm showing my lack of knowlage quicker than I hoped.

To answer the questions, the digital control unit is 230v not 12v as show in my link, appogigies.
I've had a better look at the resistor and can't photograph suitably, but the diagram looks near identical to this:

Please don't laugh at my hone drawn project diagram, but this 'may' help explain what I'm trying to achieve....

Thanks again.

Sorry but your picture means not much to me! :LOL:

The pic of the relay however. A1 is switched live in from the controller. A2 is your neutral.
Then 11 and 21 are live and neutral in, and 14 and 24 live and neutral out to the load.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
One last question. How do I work out what to wire where on the relay socket?

That relay from eBay is a fake omron relay. Do not use them as they will get extremely hot to the point where the plastic melts and fail within one week of use. I learnt this the hard way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back