Relaying tiles, with french drain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our garden is a bit messy and we have these Y shaped metal frames for securing bikes too, that are rusted up and just full of water.

So I wanted to lift up all the slabs, put some better frames in and put a good base under the slabs (they were dot and dabbed by previous owner) with rubble, stones and sand, and mortar the slabs in. I've done this already with the other end of the garden a year a go and it's been good and solid. We can have bbq's, tables and chairs out there with no issues, so I think my technique is ok.

My only concern is that we have a french drain in front of the house, and I don't want to mess that up and damage the property, or have water drain under the slabs, washing away the base I put in and the patio collapsing.

Just looking for some tips and notes on the subject, hopefully from people more experienced than I.

Here is the french drain.

IMG_20200712_151733.jpg

Here is the Y shaped bike lock. I've found some nicer ones for not to much.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardcastle...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

IMG_20200712_151824.jpg

Sponsored Links
If this is a French drain it should have a perforated pipe within the gravel and connected to the underground drainage.

If it’s not, remove the chillings, dig a channel, insert the pipe, connect to the gully, you may need a new one to connect up your pipe, replace chippings ensuring they do not breach your external wall damp product course. Ideally your ground/paving levels should be 6” below your dpc to stop rising dampness. Then lay your paving at that height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back