relaying wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have decided to have an expose wooden floor in our lounge/dinning room. A number of the original boards are in a very poor state and there are gaps of vary sizes between all of the boards. I have therefore decided to relay the original boards so that they all butt up to each other and replace the broken/poor boards with ones that I have salvaged from other rooms in the house.

Are 50mm clasp nails the right thing to use in refixing the boards?

Should I first lay insulation sheeting (for example 3mm foil underlay for floating floors)?

Can anyone offer any helpful hints & tips in relaying a wooden floor?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan-- I have just laid a t&g 20mm thick wooden floor. and the builders merchant gave me 65 mm cut clasp nails- I found them hard to drive in so used a small pilot drill first. Good nails for secondary lays- due to big nail holes in joists.

You can also use 60mm Oval nails, a lot easier to drive in. Insulation isn't ness, but wont do any harm...

Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back