Reliable basic standard gas boiler for 17yr old system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New to posting on forum. I've read a few posts and the boiler change FAQs etc.

We have a 17yr old system which is fitted with a Thorn Olympic wall mount. It was £40 when fitted and at least 5yrs old at the time. This was on advice of a BGas engineer who said it was built like a tank and would likely outlast a new boiler. True to his word it never needed any repairs and untill an unreliable pilot and a very slightly pourous water jacket (only when stone cold) in the last month it has been great.

So time to replace and I want to fit the new boiler a couple of metres to one side in the same room. We have a system with loft header tank, vented hot water cylinder, pump & 3-way motorised valve near cylinder, room stat & digital programmer in hall. Boiler is only gas appliance in the house and supply is 22mm to within 1m of boiler.

I want to keep to a standard boiler on the same system so the replacement is as straightforward as possible.

As cash is tight (but no cheap bodges wanted) I would plan to physically hang the new boiler myself and do the new flue hole plus run the new heating water pipes to it. Then I'd get a qualified engineer to powerflush the system and connect/ commission.

At the same time I would want to dry line the existing solid double brick victorian wall with plasterboard on timber battens. I assume this is OK as most modern houses are dry lined.

So 3 questions please...

Are there special regs or practical considerations for fitting a boiler to a plasterboard wall?

As I can look up the heat values for all the existing rads in the house by their size how do I use this information to work out the boiler size to include the hot water cylinder?

Any thoughts on a quality new standard boiler that will connect to my existing system and controls with minimum fuss.

Any other thoughts on my idea of how I want to do the job?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Plaster board , obviously needs a decent fixing , stud wall (???) can transmit noise from some boilers , boiler Johnson & Starley Reno 25 H , fully modulating A rated , stainless steel boiler , from a very good company !

Thanks.

I'm OK getting a strong fixing on the plasterboard as I'll have battens behind the boiler fixing points so the fixing will go through the battens and into the brick wall. I just wondered if there was any extra fitting requirement related to fire resistance with plasterboard?

Noise, if any, is OK as it's in a utility room extension on the back of the house.

I've downloaded the Reno 25 H instructions and it seems to need a drain so I assume it's a condensing boiler. Could the drain go into a boss on the soil pipe out of a WC pan?

Now found a few boiler size calculators online. They all come out around 14.5Kw for rads, hot water & 10% for extra cold weather. Does that sound about right for an average 3-bed Victorian semi with solid walls but new windows/doors and thick loft insulation?

Unless your property can fullfill the excemption requirements , & it won't all new boilers will be of the condensing type , you can discharge the condensate drain into a S.V.P , if you went for the J&S reno they make 3 output all are modulating type boilers , meaning they will constantly adjust there out put to the loading on them , like most A rated boilers .
The outputs are 16 , 25 , & 31 k.w output , mostly install the 25 's unless the property is small as they are quieter in operation ., than the 16's .
To be fair , & that is important I am, as far as I am aware I am the only person on this site that fits J & S boilers , others will & would suggest other makes , but have found them to be an excellent company to deal with ,
I do not work for johnson & Starley !! choice of boiler manu's is wide , it's a competitive market , some makes u would be well advised to stay away from , the concensus on here is anything made by Ideals ! other makes probably Ravenheat , my view stay away from any ally heat exc' boilers .
Always fit boiler protection to the boiler , magnaclean , spirovent , TF1 or similar , others will have different views , hope it go's well .
For got to mention IF you are 60 or over you are entitled to a £300 grant from the warmfront scheme !!

WARNING edited 27th feb 2011 The Johnson & Starley boilers have proven to be the most unreliable boilers we have ever had the misfortune to install a total disgrace really . I apologise to all :oops:

Sponsored Links
OK thanks.

I wonder if anyone has a link to the exemption from a condensing boiler or can easily explain what the main points are?

Even if you were exempt your next , problem would be finding a manu' who are still actually making a non-condensing boiler , the excemption criteria does or used to work on a points system , e,g a certain property was worth a set number of points , moving a boiler to another room , was worth another amount , a flue that had to be over a certain distance, so on & so forth , if you could score over a given figure you could have a standard boiler , with the intro of the new baxi back boiler (condensing) , very few propertys would be excempt , a listed building perhaps ???
but for different reasons , remember you would need to make a legal declaration that your prop is excempt , I doubt wether any one would check up but , if you go to sell your property e.ct !!

Hello. New to posting on forum. I've read a few posts and the boiler change FAQs etc.

We have a 17yr old system which is fitted with a Thorn Olympic wall mount. It was £40 when fitted and at least 5yrs old at the time. This was on advice of a BGas engineer who said it was built like a tank and would likely outlast a new boiler. True to his word it never needed any repairs and untill an unreliable pilot and a very slightly pourous water jacket (only when stone cold) in the last month it has been great.

So time to replace and I want to fit the new boiler a couple of metres to one side in the same room. We have a system with loft header tank, vented hot water cylinder, pump & 3-way motorised valve near cylinder, room stat & digital programmer in hall. Boiler is only gas appliance in the house and supply is 22mm to within 1m of boiler.

I want to keep to a standard boiler on the same system so the replacement is as straightforward as possible.

As cash is tight (but no cheap bodges wanted) I would plan to physically hang the new boiler myself and do the new flue hole plus run the new heating water pipes to it. Then I'd get a qualified engineer to powerflush the system and connect/ commission.

At the same time I would want to dry line the existing solid double brick victorian wall with plasterboard on timber battens. I assume this is OK as most modern houses are dry lined.

So 3 questions please...

Are there special regs or practical considerations for fitting a boiler to a plasterboard wall?

As I can look up the heat values for all the existing rads in the house by their size how do I use this information to work out the boiler size to include the hot water cylinder?

Any thoughts on a quality new standard boiler that will connect to my existing system and controls with minimum fuss.

Any other thoughts on my idea of how I want to do the job?

Thanks.

Due to new regulations you would be unable to hang the fixing plate/bracket yourself let alone the boiler.
You may be able to find someone to commision it for you after doing this but its now a no no i beleive.

Due to new regulations you would be unable to hang the fixing plate/bracket yourself let alone the boiler.
You may be able to find someone to commision it for you after doing this but its now a no no i beleive.

Since posting this query I have realised it's all changed. I actually put 95% of my current system in myself 17yrs ago with just a couple of hours help final wiring + gas connection. A few years before that I put in a whole detached house c/h system with just the final gas conn done by a fitter.

Only yesterday did I see about the current building regs stuff, certificates etc so have just contacted a GasSafe fitter to come out and do the whole job for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back