Relifting an engineered floor that's been glued on the T&G's

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 281264

Had a builder lay an engineered floor and do a terrible job of it. Gaps appearing everywhere and bouncing in places.

Any chance the floor can be relayed? it really is quite a bad job, not cheap 21mm engineered oak either

Sponsored Links
Is it really glued down to the T&G below, or is it just floating and glued at the joints? Either way it depends on the glue used, but TBH I am not hopeful. Have you tried lifting one plank to see if you can lift it?

Had a builder lay an engineered floor and do a terrible job of it. Gaps appearing everywhere and bouncing in places.

Any chance the floor can be relayed? it really is quite a bad job, not cheap 21mm engineered oak either
If he has done a terrible job, he probably hasn’t used much glue.

If it’s 21mm engineered floor with a decent ply substrate it should come apart.

if gaps are appearing it suggests it’s a floating floor, secret nailed, shouldn’t move.

The thing is the visible solid oak “wear layer” doesn’t extend as far down as the tongue, so if the tongue rips a bit, it shouldn’t affect the surface.

Whats the detail: is this on screed, suspended floor joists, overboarding of existing floor?

is it in a new building with fresh plaster and screed?

what’s the relative humidity of the room?

Engineered floors don't need gluing so should come apart. If its bouncing the substrate is inadequate or the floor and underlay (if any) aren't level.

What make is the floor?

Blup

Sponsored Links
The floor is over 400mm centred joists & 18mm chipboard with a silver underlay (timbershield) if I remember correctly

It was part of a new renovation, there were some clearly bad area that became even worse when the heating went on.

It is a floating floor but also with the tongue and groove glued.

The builder has offered to replace the areas that are very bad with new boards at his cost. But I'm wondering if the whole floor will be ruined eventually.

Most of it feels fairly solid, but when you observe someone else walking on it you can see a very slight bounce and movement in the floor in certain areas. I am wondering how normal this is with a floating floor.

I was unhappy that the builder lashed the flooring in so quickly, while there was still painting to be done but he said that's how he always does it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back