relocating oil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, hope you can help?

i have a Waterford stanley oil fired cooker/stove, 160'000btu, i want to move the tank i use for it, but problem is i can only move it down my garden, approx 30ft away and approx 10ft lower than the ground level of the house...

iv heard about the tiger loop, but is this possible? how would the fuel get up to the burner in the house? is tiger loop powered? will i need to fit a pump??

any help would be great...thanks..i lye in wait?

Sponsored Links
Presumably the Stanley is fitted with a pressure jet burner?
Its the burner's pump that actually does the pumping (!) and to change from a gravity (single pipe) to a below ground (double pipe) you need to fit a blanking screw into the pump which allows it to do just that. The tiger loop is a device which prevents aeration of the system.
If you have a vaporising burner then you'll need an oil lifting device which will supply a head of oil to the burner.
For this installation you need the services of an experienced OFTEC person, who will advise you if your pump is powerful enough and recommend supply pipe sizes, etc.
John :)

Presumably the Stanley is fitted with a pressure jet burner?
Its the burner's pump that actually does the pumping (!) and to change from a gravity (single pipe) to a below ground (double pipe) you need to fit a blanking screw into the pump which allows it to do just that. The tiger loop is a device which prevents aeration of the system.
If you have a vaporising burner then you'll need an oil lifting device which will supply a head of oil to the burner.
For this installation you need the services of an experienced OFTEC person, who will advise you if your pump is powerful enough and recommend supply pipe sizes, etc.
John :)
A 160,000 ? Stanley will almost certainly be pressure jet. The installation of a tiger loop with the right sized pipework, probably 10mm, would not require two pipes from the tank. You need two pipes from the tiger loop and the by-pass plug in the pump. Thetiger loop would be installed outside at the point of entry to the building. A tiger loop and fittings probably would cost £60-70 +vat, fitting depends on complexity of job.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply so quick...

one last question-------if tank is lower than the pump...does this put a heavy load on pump?? and is it more likely to give up?

With a tiger loop fitted- no. If you use the pump to lift, then if it loses the prime, it will fun dry and wear out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back