Tiger loop for oil tank slightly above burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting a new thread as the topic is fairly different from the last one.

Tracing the level of our oil tank to the boiler, the bottom outlet on the tank is about 10cm higher than the burner. The oil line drops almost straight down, is buried for about 20m, then comes up and into the house at the level of the burner. Typically we don't ever go below about 20% oil level so the oil level should always be about 20cm higher than the burner or more.

Should this be in any danger of needing a Tiger loop? There is an old one present (an outside one indoors...) but not sure it is really necessary.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how the pipe is laid, especially the underground section.
If removed you may have problems with the pipe airlocking if you run out of oil.
They are very reliable and solve far more problems than they cause.

What specifically about the lay of the pipe? I'm not going digging but it clearly just goes in a straight line from the tank to the house, on a slight downhill slope all the way.

Could fit a new one but either need to run a vent pipe for an internal one or have it outside. Boiler is being replaced anyway so just looking at options.

Any Dips or undulations can cause airlocks if oil runs out.
If there were no problems...why was it fitted.
A 5 minute job to drill a hole for a 10mm vent.

Your choice if you want to risk it.!!...

Sponsored Links
I've had 2 installers tell me it shouldn't be required, but I do have that doubt about why it has one. The tank is quite new and was probably relocated, so that could explain it.

If only it was a 5 minute job! :LOL:

I've had 2 installers tell me it shouldn't be required, but I do have that doubt about why it has one. The tank is quite new and was probably relocated, so that could explain it.

If only it was a 5 minute job! :LOL:
Much easier to do whilst doing a boiler change than as a retrofit.
It could cost the same to clear an airlock afterwards......each time !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back