Remedial DPC type work - 1800's garage stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a 200 year old coach house which I've been in a couple of years. It's solid stone/cavities which have had a chemical DPC (fairly successful, a couple of revisits).

I'm now looking at the attached garage (well the coach bit of the house!). No DPC work has been done here. No cavity either.

The rear wall of the garage is is around 10 metres long and backs onto a field where we suffer from occasional water run off if there's weeks of heavy rain. (and a not very helpful farmer to do anything about it). The walls here have had their damp level rise in the last year.

I'm going to be injecting some DPC cream here shortly.

I'm in the process of putting some drainage in at the rear of the house to at least redirect water when it's at it's worst. I'm also repairing the mortar along the length of the building as it's worn.

Anyway - the question is ...

I've dug around a foot into the ground on the external wall so I can get easy access to repair the render. I think (and I am a novice) it would be worth applying some DPC material vertically below ground and possibly some single to help draining. Any reasons this wouldn't be a good idea? Also suggestions for DPC material would be appreciated.

Once this is a bit drier, I need to repaint the inside of the garage ... suggestions for something suitable would be good.

Cheers

Stephen

Sponsored Links
I don't think putting DPC(DPM) material up a wall below ground will do anything, as the wall will still wick moisture up from the ground behind the DPM

Any internal paint will only be successful if the wall does not get too saturated, and if the stone and mortar is sound on the surface - ie not friable

RIW or Superprufe or similar might do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back