Remedy for darkish/plaster pacthes on newly skimmed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

We had our artex ceiling skimmed over and made flat.
I first applied a mist cost on it ( Dulux white paint + 15% water) then applied 2 more coats on it (not watered down !!!!)
Inspite of this I see greyyish patches ( plaster ) still visible while in portions of the ceiling at other places it seems to have gone uniformly i.e. white paint visible !!!

Am I not applying the roller properly on the ceiling? :confused:
Should I have used the PVA Dulux sealer at the VERY FIRST instance? Can I still use it? :confused:
What could be the problem and could someone please suggest a remedy for it? :(

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the thicker plaster filling the hollows is still wet. Leave it a few days and then see.

I have applied the coats on consecutive days over the weekend which was particularly warm with the last coat yesterday I will wait for one more day ...

I have been suggested by someone that I should only paint the greyish-blue patches with undiluted paint untill they don't look discoloured and then I have to wait for it to dry and then paint the ENTIRE ceiling again with a third coat but perpendicular to the previous direction.

I have also been suggested by someone else that may be I should use the PVA glue sealer but I am unsure whether its worth applying it to the ceiling now after my first 2 coats of paint and mist coat .... Will the PVA sealer hold on to a painted surface because it usually applied to bare surfaces isn't it ?

Not sure which option to take !!! :confused:

I have also got fat paint edges to remove at certain places and some repaaired patches (that show up) to rub down so wanted to know if sanding them down now before I take one of the above 2 approaches won’t make things worse :confused:

Sponsored Links
The Dulux Sealer can mentions that the Sealer needs to be applied on Bare PLater or Plasterboards or powdery surfaces !!! so looks like I have to try the option 1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back