Remedying vertical crack in unused chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a former Victorian hot house, now being converted as a garden room. We've already reduced the chimney to about half height but I've noticed a crack running up the remainder. It doesn't reach the top or bottom for now and isn't actually functional, but I'd like to stop it getting worse

The pointing is obviously ready to fix but what do you do with cracked bricks? The crack seems too narrow to get mortar in.

The chimney is tied in to the wall so I don't really want to take it down as it will look naff, if it can be protected?
I do plan to cap the top but this crack was there already.

PXL_20230312_165509982.jpg
PXL_20230312_165537742.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could drive those helical bars through to tie in the bricks but the underlying cause - which appears to be subsidence from tree roots, will remain.

Blup

You could drive those helical bars through to tie in the bricks but the underlying cause - which appears to be subsidence from tree roots, will remain.

Blup
Thanks, I hadn't heard of those before, assume this sort of thing is what you mean - they self drill and provide reinforcement? https://www.toolstation.com/brickfix-helical-bar/p58328

It may well be subsidence although there doesn't seem much vertical displacement and the crack starts partway up, so I'd assumed it was just old age. But if I stabilise, I would still want to fill cracks to stop water getting in and causing problems I assume? Is grout the product I want here, basically to use as filler on cracked bricks? Searching for the helical bars showed up "brick fix" kits including them and a bucket of special grout. But are these cracks wide enough for that?

Cheers again.

Have you got any spare cedral to clad it with? Probably quite difficult to make a "mortar" repair that won't crack again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I hadn't heard of those before, assume this sort of thing is what you mean - they self drill and provide reinforcement? https://www.toolstation.com/brickfix-helical-bar/p58328

It may well be subsidence although there doesn't seem much vertical displacement and the crack starts partway up, so I'd assumed it was just old age. But if I stabilise, I would still want to fill cracks to stop water getting in and causing problems I assume? Is grout the product I want here, basically to use as filler on cracked bricks? Searching for the helical bars showed up "brick fix" kits including them and a bucket of special grout. But are these cracks wide enough for that?

Cheers again.
It’s almost impossible to get a plumber in my area, or a heating engineer for that matter. All the plumbers where I live only want to do bathroom fit outs, all the heating engineers want do are boiler replacements
Yes something like that

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back