Remeha Avanta 18v Error code E4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning !

I have a Remeha Avanta 18v Gas boiler installed 9 years ago which is used as a standby when log burner not operating. It is on LPG and worked perfectly last year. In anticipation of using it more this winter starting in November, I tried to start it up this weekend to check all well. I checked all the usual things and switched on. It went through it’s 3 minute purging cycle and then attempted to fire. It made its 5 attempts then shut down displaying E4. The manual indicates a gas flow problem but also refers to ionisation current. I couldn’t check ionisation current as there wasn’t an established flame. However I cleaned the electrodes and tried again. Still E4. I had a new electrode set left over from previous service kit so tried that. Still E4. The ignition transformer must be working as it lights the gas and then after about 3-4 seconds the gas valve shuts and the flame goes out with a slight whoosh. I am thinking that the part of the ignition unit which monitors the ionisation current may be at fault or is there another part of the controller which reads this current.
The gas safe engineer who installed the boiler is retired and before I engage another engineer who I don’t know I would like to hear any views or advice you out there might offer.
Thank you
Simon D

Sponsored Links
Good morning !

I have a Remeha Avanta 18v Gas boiler installed 9 years ago which is used as a standby when log burner not operating. It is on LPG and worked perfectly last year. In anticipation of using it more this winter starting in November, I tried to start it up this weekend to check all well. I checked all the usual things and switched on. It went through it’s 3 minute purging cycle and then attempted to fire. It made its 5 attempts then shut down displaying E4. The manual indicates a gas flow problem but also refers to ionisation current. I couldn’t check ionisation current as there wasn’t an established flame. However I cleaned the electrodes and tried again. Still E4. I had a new electrode set left over from previous service kit so tried that. Still E4. The ignition transformer must be working as it lights the gas and then after about 3-4 seconds the gas valve shuts and the flame goes out with a slight whoosh. I am thinking that the part of the ignition unit which monitors the ionisation current may be at fault or is there another part of the controller which reads this current.
The gas safe engineer who installed the boiler is retired and before I engage another engineer who I don’t know I would like to hear any views or advice you out there might offer.
Thank you
Simon D
You wont find those answers in here.
Gas work isnt for those not competent.
If I was in your shoes, look for someone on google with decent feedback

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back