Remote control Floor Lamps etc, but from a Wall-mounted Controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In a new extension, I want to have several Floor and Table lamps but to control them all from wall switches at the same point as the Ceiling lights.
[i.e. I don't want to use a separate, Remote Controller, that will no-doubt be misplaced].

I'm not saying they need to be switches precisely with the Ceiling lights (they'd be on totally different circuits), but at least I want the switches co-located (i.e. right next door to one another).

I'd also (ideally) like quite a bit of flexibility, so that I've a switch for turning all the Floor lamps on in a single go, or I can switch some on/off at a time. Also, ideally, some may need to be dimmable.
Again, I do not want to do this from a separate 'Remote Controller', or from my phone! I want to do it from (albeit separate) wall-mounted switches.
I appreciate that this may mean a large bank of switches on the wall, but I'm happy with that.

Cost is also a significant factor.

Can anyone suggest a suitable solution or products?

I'm not sure if Bluetooth-based technology would have the required range (4-5m max from the Floor lamps to the (proposed) Wall-Mounted Switches?
Are there Ultra-sound based technologies?
Or would it have to be WiFi-based technology stuff? I'm guess that's a lot more expensive.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ezio

Sponsored Links
Something like this, but this switch only controls a single Power Socket.

1694937976655.png

How many separate lights do you need to control
Or would it have to be WiFi-based technology stuff? I'm guess that's a lot more expensive.
Not at al expensive!!. You can get a pack of 4 smart sockets for about £20
LIKE THESE

61xP0BJyGtL._AC_SX679_.jpg

And control them individually, or in groups or whatever combination you like from a (FREE) smart phone app, and/or from Alexa, etc.
You could set some to come on at sunset, or random as security lights. Fill your boots!

With a hub the power needed for controls reduces, so with a hub same make can be switched using magnetic back buttons, I use one as a door bell. But lights I use voice control with Nest Mini speakers again same make Tapo.

Sponsored Links
2A round pin sockets at the lamp positions.
The same number of switches/dimmers on the wall.

No need for any Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, apps, smartphones, AI powered spyware or anything else.

As flameport says 2a sockets in the room switched by a switch or dimmer in the same switch plate as the main light. Its what I have done. Two ccts fed from separate switches feeding three sockets per cct dotted around the room so giving the chance to move a light to different position but still have it switched from the same switch. Simples...
And as you are having the extension built now is the time to do it as it's cheaper and easier to get it right now.

Last edited:
Since a new extension you can have wiring to do what ever you want, but not sure on which costs more, hard wiring or wireless? Even back in 1979 when I bought my second house, a extra socket was priced at £25. So mainly down to what the builder will charge?

2A round pin sockets at the lamp positions.
The same number of switches/dimmers on the wall.

No need for any Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, apps, smartphones, AI powered spyware or anything else.

Yes, but you can do all sorts of clever things, using smart switches, which you cannot do with hard-wired ones.

Not everyone wants "do all sorts of clever things" though! Some, like me, just want to enter a room, reach to the side of the door jamb and flick a switch or two and voila the lights come on..
And what happens if your phone gets nicked? Do you have to sit in the dark? Or if the "smart switch" fails and you can't get a similiar replacement?
I think there is too much reliance these days on technology just because it sounds good " I can turn all the lights on using my phone". and?
The new range rover allows you to adjust the seat position using your phone, WHY? You can't exactly adjust the position whilst driving as using the phone is illegal!

Last edited:
Not everyone wants "do all sorts of clever things" though! Some, like me, just want to enter a room, reach to the side of the door jamb and flick a switch or two and voila the lights come on..
And what happens if your phone gets nicked? Do you have to sit in the dark? Or if the "smart switch" fails and you can't get a similiar replacement?
Or the power fails and there's no lights at all. Or the sky falls in....

I think there is too much reliance these days on technology just because it sounds good " I can turn all the lights on using my phone". and?
The new range rover allows you to adjust the seat position using your phone, WHY? You can't exactly adjust the position whilst driving as using the phone is illegal!

I take the middle ground, I don't involve tech, where manual methods are as good, but somethings really can be done better when you involve the tech. My drive light used to be on an old Sangamo solar clock, on at dusk, off at 11pm. It needed to be constantly watched, in case it got out of sync with real time. A plug in smart and a simple routine, now take care of that.

My mobile phone used to sit on (over)charge, on a stand - a smart plug, and a routine to limit the on charge time take care of that, during the night.

Any issues, and I can simply push a button on the smart plug.

For years we have had a display cabinet with lights, lights on the cooker hood, under counter lights, up lights, table lights, pedestal lights, etc. With all the switches scattered around the room, on the odd time I would use them, I wanted to use them, but just too much hassle turning them all off and on.

So I can well see the idea of having a six gang switch at the entrance to the room, so one can select the lights wanted when entering. However that is a rather large switch plate, having one at the door so one can manually if required turn on the main light seems good, but in the main "Hey google turn on living room lights" or "Hey google turn off living room lights" and it replies "turning off six lights, the up lighter is not available at the moment (I have unplugged it)" seems far more flexible and easy to do than hard wiring.

I will admit using the phone is a pain, but I do have remote controls Remote control.jpgfor some of my lights and sockets, they work direct, and don't need the internet or router. I have used them for bedroom lights for years, first installed in late mothers house. Easier that setting up two way switching.

One can combine the two using relays, DSC_6061r.jpg I have used relay shown with landing light, mainly as the down stairs switch is not in a convenient place, so I can use voice, phone or the existing two way switches.

However I will admit not all plain sailing, of the 5 energenie light switches, only 2 remain, this is over around 7 years in total, they were great to start with, but any switch without a neutral needs to pass current through the bulb when off to power the switch unless it has a battery, so it depends on the bulb as to how well they work, I have found one switch TPLink (Tapo) that does use a battery, far better idea where there is no neutral, and up to now work well.

The advantage with the smart switch is the extras, although smart bulbs can often have them too, be it simple on times, off times, dust to dawn, or geofencing, the ability to have light either switch on with phone before leaving car, or auto switch on when you arrive home, but not when local cats and bats are moving around I find is good.

The problem they are not all the same, I have a bulb that when switched off slowly dims first, giving one a warning it is switching off, but only my Wiz bulb does that, but it does not have dust till dawn, I use Tapo for that, and the list goes on.

Selecting the make to use is hard, I thought I could move to TPlink and have just one hub, but the TRV hub and the light switch hub are different, TRV is Kasa and lights are Tapo and that caused a problem as there is also a Tado and I could not get the Tapo to work because I was reading the wrong instructions.

I am trying to give pros and cons, and one con must be the price, but all in all I would not want to return to no smart controls, I love my creature comforts with things that are on and offable as the advert said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back