Remote flush!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently ripping out my old bathroom and installing a new suite. I'm a bit of an gadget freak and wanted to see if it was possible to save a little bit of space in the bathroom by moving the toilet tank in to the loft. Whilst this is the easy bit I wondered if anyone knows of a way I can sort of "remote flush" the tank. I see the electronic flush mechanisms all the time but they are very expensive. There must be a cheaper way of doing this. Any suggestions welcome :)

Thanks,

Matt.

Sponsored Links
Fit a high level cistern with a chain through the ceiling? ;)

Seriously, I think the electronic jobbies with extended wiring are about your only option.

I had a feeling someone was going to say that :)

My idea was to use some kind of electromagnetic bolt to push the flush button remotely but I'm still researching that.

Let's see what else comes up :)

Sponsored Links
This can be achieved by using one of the push button flushes on the market.

The flush button is connected to the cistern by narrow plastic tubing which is easy to conceal.

The pneumatic flushes may not work if the tube is extended as it will only be pressurising a larger volume of tube and might not operate the cistern flush.

A long chain is the easy solution.

An electric actuator is quite possible but will need some researching and design!

Tony

Thanks guys!

Since a cistern with the pushbutton is only around £30 I think it is worth the experiment and I will post my results :)

I have asked the supplier if the cable for the button can be extended before I commit to buying - just in case. I suspect, as mentioned, it won't work correctly but I will find out!

There are three types!

Direct mechanical operation by button perhaps 90%

Pneumatic operation perhaps 3%

Rod in tube type perhaps 7%

A useful trick if using a solenoid is to use the pull action through a spring so the solenoid operates and the spring tension provides at actuation.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back