Remote heating control - telephone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to be able to control my heating remotely. Not worried about setting the actual temperature but just to turn it from off to auto.

Basically, 'all' I would need is a switch that can be turned on/ off remotely, that I can add between the thermostat and the wiring centre OR that switches the CH timer live out.

Ideally something that is connected to a phone line and is touch tone controlled or similar would be good?

Heatmiser do a thermostat that is wifi enabled etc but it doesn't really suit.

Any suggestions?

Have searched but without success so far.

Sponsored Links
There probably are some devices available but its more complicated than you seem to think!

You need something to answer the phone! A cheap answering machine could do that!

Then you need a telephone tone decoder. These are probably available or if you were clever you could build one around a 927 code decoder chip.

Oddly I have some alarm PCBs using that chip but I dont know if they are designed to receive or make calls.

Perhaps someone else will be able to suggest an off the shelf solution but I would be surprised if there are any as if there were I would expect to know about them.

Tony

My late dog was able to do many things after training. For example it could drink out of a held bottle and would go and poo or wee when told to.

A current TV ad shows a dog fetching a cold beer from the fridge which is useful.

Perhaps if you had a good dog it could turn on the heating if you telephoned twice?

BG do a remote thermostat/programmer that you can control via the internet, but it costs ~£200

Sponsored Links
That would seem to be the kind of thing you would need.

But it is shown as "Not available" !

The Vellerman kit seems to be exactly whats required.

But I have never seen anyone using one.

Nor have I been able to yet find any description of its operation and functions.

Well worth further investigation!

Tony

Great, thanks for all that.

Vellerman kit seems to fit the bill - did you 'build' this kit yourself or did it come put together?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back