Simple wifi control for boiler

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

Looking for some advice please.
My current set up is as follows :
Conventional gas boiler with a flash immersat timer switch, heats the rads and hot water tank. There is one thermostat in hall which will switch off rads when temperature exceeded.

I would like to have a wifi timer switch that i can control the on / off of my boiler remotely as I am away at random times for random durations.

Ideally i would like to just replace the flash switch with a wifi enabled switch but everything i see online seems to come with a smart thermostat. I dont really need a new smart thermostat and while I am not against getting one, i dont see how it would fit my system becasue if i want to heat my water, currently i just switch on the boiler and turn down the thermostat. With a new smart thermostat presumably the boiler will not start when the room temperature is already above setting. If my system would work with a new thermostat I am happy to get a wireless one to place in main living room as that would be better than the current hall location.

Could you advise some simple solution ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How will that work with voltage-free switching?
The OP doesnt have voltage free switching, but there is a different unit that you can buy that does indeed support low voltage switching, cant remember what you call them , they are about £5 on ebay

So no option for hot water only?
No.
I guess I could just buy a smart control and thermostat and turn that new thermostat up fully in which case it wouldn't interfere with existing setup? Bit of a waste but would it work?
Alternatively I could disconnect existing thermostat and use the new one for the rads and hot water combined but if I ever want hot water only I'd have to use immersion?

No.
I guess I could just buy a smart control and thermostat and turn that new thermostat up fully in which case it wouldn't interfere with existing setup? Bit of a waste but would it work?
Alternatively I could disconnect existing thermostat and use the new one for the rads and hot water combined but if I ever want hot water only I'd have to use immersion?
I looked at your flash immersat timer....I take it your system is fairly old (gravity hot water, no motorised valves or other fripperies?)
You could replace that timer with a WiFi smart 13A socket and keep your existing thermostat etc. Basic wiring skills only, not sure whether such a setup is permitted in Ireland but it would work.

I looked at your flash immersat timer....I take it your system is fairly old (gravity hot water, no motorised valves or other fripperies?)
You could replace that timer with a WiFi smart 13A socket and keep your existing thermostat etc. Basic wiring skills only, not sure whether such a setup is permitted in Ireland but it would work.
About 15 years old, apartment, basic system.
Smart socket sounds good, but is there much difference between that and the option as per video in previous post by @ianmcd
I would still need to wire a plug to go to boiler?
I use a tp-link smart plug already for some lights, could I get another one for this and then i could use same app.
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/hs100/

Photo attached of current timer located on Wall directly under boiler.

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_211909.jpg
    IMG_20200909_211909.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 314
It is not recommended to use a plug and socket for an immersion heater. There is a risk of it overheating and starting a fire.
Immersion heaters should be hard wired.
The TP link device has a max load of 2.99Kw. Most immersion heaters are 3Kw. I would not risk using a device that is on for a long time at or above its maximum load.

Could you change the spur for a single socket outlet, power the boiler through a plug, put the heating and/or hot water on permanently when you go away and then just power the boiler up with a WiFi plug to turn the system on when you want?

Could you change the spur for a single socket outlet, power the boiler through a plug, put the heating and/or hot water on permanently when you go away and then just power the boiler up with a WiFi plug to turn the system on when you want?

I could if that was an acceptable way to do it electrically. I don't know much about electrics so I wouldn't know the implications of changing the spur to a single socket - would there be any issue with doing that?

I could if that was an acceptable way to do it electrically. I don't know much about electrics so I wouldn't know the implications of changing the spur to a single socket - would there be any issue with doing that?
Well, if you don’t know much about electrics, I’d seriously suggest that you get a qualified electrician in. If you don’t want to go to full remote control hive/nest type of setup, a simple on/off WiFi plug would be the cheapest option or even a WiFi spur if you are keeping your existing controller. It does sound to me that you will need to get an electrician in though.

Well, if you don’t know much about electrics, I’d seriously suggest that you get a qualified electrician in. If you don’t want to go to full remote control hive/nest type of setup, a simple on/off WiFi plug would be the cheapest option or even a WiFi spur if you are keeping your existing controller. It does sound to me that you will need to get an electrician in though.
Thanks, I don't mind getting an electrician, i just want a simple solution that works, even if that simple solution means getting an electrician that's fine. Although I could replace a spur with a switch I'm sure, I just wouldn't be sure about some of the other solutions suggested in the thread.
It's not that I don't want full remote hive / nest - I just don't see them fitting into my system without a workaround.

So the WiFi spur seems like a good and simple solution, any pros or cons over a WiFi plug, the wiring seems easier for the WiFi spur.

The electrical rating of boiler is given as 125W, internal fuse 2AL,external fuse 3A, so would i be correct in saying that WiFi spur would do the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back