Remote lock for workshop door with visual indicator?

Yes because at the moment we have to take the back door key with us, cross the car port and unlock the workshop door. Le Corbusier said that a house should be a machine for living in, so I want to set up a simple and evident way of unlocking and locking the workshop from inside the house. I'll be an old man soon and I'll be needing things to be easy and foolproof especially if I lose my marbles

Sponsored Links
Here y'are then....

Attachments

• 20230210_204121.jpg
    20230210_204121.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230210_204006.jpg
    20230210_204006.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230210_203956.jpg
    20230210_203956.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 50
I don't think you will find any off-the-shelf solution for that. Assuming that is the type of locking system where you need to lift the handle, then turn the key, or knob to lock - then it might be possible to design a flashing LED system, to indicate whether it was locked or not. A flashing LED, simply run on a PP3 battery, would be able to run for years, before battery replacement were needed. A simple micro-switch, set in the door or the frame, could detect whether the locking bars were operated or not.

Sponsored Links
In my experience electronic entry locks are just another complicated, expensive item which is prone to failure. The mechanical num lock suggested by Harry in conjunction with a door closer is cheap and very reliable over a long period.

Thanks all for the suggestions. It's beginning to be clear that I'm not going to find a low-cost solution. I bet there are systems but they would be commercial as used in shops and banks and I'd have to replace the standard NorDan lock, which controls all the other bits of the locking system around the door. Very good doors, by the way!

Well, the Mag Locks we use are always a hundred plus just for the door - add electronic door control and the price sky rockets. That's why for lower priority security the £20 mechanical Digi Locks are so popular. You see them all over the place

I wonder if there’s a way to jig a remote car door lock system, which are cheap, to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back