Remote Monitor / arm / disarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So i'm after an alarm which i can monitor remotely as well as arm / disarm

But i'm not 100% sure what type of communication to use IP or GSM

I was looking at Honeywell and appears Ethernet module actually needs a cable is this the same on most alarms i.e they don't connect to router wirelessly ?

Yes i understand the issue of wired and wireless for networks too.

Anyone had experience of which system is easiest to monitor, arm, disarm remotely prefer if was simple app but not must

Sponsored Links
When you mean monitored is this for you personally or for an ARC.

It is possible on many systems but the answer may differ it its for you personally or not.

Texecom Elite Range

Personal:-
GSM will send you alarm activations and you can control the unit remotely with simple commands.

IP you would need to install Texbase/ Montex on to a pc and leave it on permanently, it can send email notifications to several people over IP.

You can control the system remotely with the smart key app or keypad app the keypad app gives you a remote keypad over IP.

You can also use wintex to back up your profile over ip which is quick.

Anyone had experience of which system is easiest to monitor, arm, disarm remotely prefer if was simple app but not must

I think the mainstream IP based panels are all hard wired, but I suppose you could add a powerline homeplug if connection is an issue.

I think the Galaxy G2-12 with Ethernet is cheapest option and the panel + keypad + module can be bought for around £120. Looking at new ebay prices, the Texecom equivalent would cost around £200 for the three parts. The honeywell is only Android keypad app. I can't comment on how good the Texecom apps are as I couldn't get it to work on my panel and COM IP combination.

The software from Honeywell is harder to get for saving the panel config via Ethernet, but sometimes comes up on Ebay.

socdesign, which panel and version do you have?

The older panels (except the 24) will work with the apps if they have simple protocol (except smart key), problem is it will tend to disconnect if you don't change the com-ip setting and program comport as not used, this doesn't affect wintex but would affect any coms out of the panel over ip.

The older 24 will work over ip, with wintex or the online keypad program (windows), but need full windows to run so wont run on all tablets or phones.

Just have to find out the ip address thats been assigned to the ip module, and put that in the connection details.

The smartkey will not work on the older panels unless you go to version 10 software at present.

The elite panels should work fully with current firmware.

The galaxy works out significantly cheaper though and if cost is a concern you can go with this.

Sponsored Links
The software from Honeywell is harder to get for saving the panel config via Ethernet, but sometimes comes up on Ebay.
Is an online seller a sensible place from which to buy internet connected software for a security system. How can you be sure the software has not be altered to send your details to the seller who could them disable your system.

Similar to buying a new door lock by mail order to your own address, a criminal seller could keep a copy of the keys and then sell the copies with your address to a burglar.

Thanks Guys for responses

Yes self monitor is what i'm after but ip or gsm is not big issue just which ever is easier

But i think gsm modules are more expensive ? or i'm looking at wrong ones some cost like £200

Sorry guys should have said i'm either looking wireless alram or hybrid i.e Bell box and key pad wired rest wireless

See i'm looking at risco agility which seems to offer monitoring via risco cloud and i'm just trying to work out how they doing it are this just cloaking GSM / IP comands with a website basically or is the alram actually connecting realtime to cloud service which seems unlikely.

But appears not many people on this forum have experience of Risco panels as they are sold to installers only

Both the texecom and Galaxy are RF hybrid, so have capability to add RF devices. Combined RF and IP with some sort of polling implemented would be your best bet, but expect to pay £500+ for a setup like that.

Haven't seen much info on the Risco cloud service at all. I wouldn't expect the cloud based service transmissions to be simple plain text that you could redirect to your own software. I would hope not anyway...

Thanks

was reading other threads on here looks like people prefer PSTN over ip or GSM

Would that still be true i understand the IP argument have power failure alarm activates but your router is off

No idea on Risco that's what i'm trying to work out i am IT tech. So i'm wondering if they just using like sms etc to the alarm box but are cloaking it with iphone app and website i.e so easier for user

In which case Risco cloud is just a GSM connection or the like but marketed differently. But since they so secretive won't supply to even electrical wholesalers etc hard to find out

Thanks

was reading other threads on here looks like people prefer PSTN over ip or GSM

Would that still be true i understand the IP argument have power failure alarm activates but your router is off

No idea on Risco that's what i'm trying to work out i am IT tech. So i'm wondering if they just using like sms etc to the alarm box but are cloaking it with iphone app and website i.e so easier for user

In which case Risco cloud is just a GSM connection or the like but marketed differently. But since they so secretive won't supply to even electrical wholesalers etc hard to find out

Standard PSTN is generally untested or polled until the alarm event is missed. Generic diallers are often used, but many lack the ability to send detailed information about the alarm event.

Panel based GSM (non generic) are good, but may be quite expensive and have ongoing SIM costs.

Panel based IP offer always connected, but have a reliance on the IP network being up. If power failure notification is required, then the router also needs to be either powered by the panel or a separate UPS.

IP based systems connected to some sort of monitoring station can also provide lowest cost polling, which can be configured to alert when the path is down. There are additional benefits with dual path where GSM can kick in in the event where the IP path is unavailable.

All depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. If you are at the point where your self monitored solution cost equate to that of a professionally installed dual path IP/GSM solution, then it may be better to get someone in.

I'll be getting quote for installed system and work out prices of doing it myself before i decide but been very helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back