Yale alarm periodically not disarming with keyfob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I have a Yale wireless communication alarm which was installed in April 2016. It has been working fine, but on two occasions recently, when entering via the front door where I normally hear the bleeps, then press the unlock symbol to disarm and then to hear the confirmatory disarm bleeps; this has not happened, instead only hearing a single bleep when the unlock symbol is pressed.
On entering the property the alarm goes off, requiring me to disarm at the control panel.
Why is this happening on some occasions, and the rest of the time it works fine, and I can arm/disarm with no issues.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be. It only happens once every couple of weeks. Alarm only installed in April last year, so shouldn't need changing anytime soon I suspect.

Have reported your post to be moved to Alarms, CCTV and telephones @Hottie you will probably get better responses from there for your issues.

Jon

Sponsored Links
What model number is it?

Sounds to me like the control panel is not picking up the signal from the "entry" sensor which is presumably attached to the front door.

Occasionally the signal is blocked if there is e.g. a wifi hub close to them. I once had it when scaffolding was erected in the stairwell of my house. I have heard of it with a plastic door if the sensor is close to steel reinforcement, usually in the corner of a plastic frame. If you have a neighbour with a radio transmitter or electric welding equipment it may interfere with the signal. It's rumoured that a radio baby alarm might interfere, though I've seen no evidence.

I'd start by changing the battery in the door sensor (easy job). Don't use Duracell as they are a poor fit. Brush the terminals in the sensor and battery with a clean toothbrush and the merest trace of WD40 in case there is dirt or corrosion.

If you can set your control panel to Chime when the door is opened you will know if it is picking up the signal every time you open the door.

If necessary, take the sensor and magnet off the door. Move them round the doorframe and walk round the house with them to see if there is a better position. Blu-tak will do until you have finished the test.

IMO it is better to put the sensor on the frame and the magnet on the door if you can, to avoid vibration when the door is slammed.

Last edited:
Hiya John D
It's an HSA6400 model.
The door does audibly sound when the front door is opened. There isn't a wifi hub close by, and nothing has changed in terms of anything that is 'obviously' blocking the signal. However you have just given me an idea, as recently I brought an aerial, (my control panel is in the master bedroom), and I changed an aerial for the TV which is close by. Hmmm, I'll check if it might be that, and try the other suggestions.
Thanks for the help.

Oops. Just realised I forgot to mention, I am using the keyfobs to arm and disarm the alarms on entering and leaving the property, and the information I provided is via the fobs and not the control panel. Sorry. The fob was purchased separately in April 2016, and like I said, no issue for months, then these episodes where it doesn't want to behave properly.

The door does audibly sound when the front door is opened.
The chime from the panel indicates that the door sensor is communicating successfully with the panel, so (if you enter when the alarm is armed) it should start the countdown (you can set countdown to audible if you want).

If the chime and countdown are always starting, it isn't the door sensor or the panel at fault.

IIRC the HSA6400 won't allow the fobs to disarm the alarm unless you entered through the door (to prevent somebody finding or stealing the fobs and using them from outside).

If you have a PIR or other sensor near the door, it might be trying to send a signal to the panel while the door sensor is transmitting. This can interfere with the signal. So PIRs should point where you will not pass them for a few seconds after opening the door. You should also wait a couple of seconds for the door chime before pressing the fob button, to avoid interference.

Hi JohnD.
I always enter the property before disarming so I can hear the bleeps, the countdown, and hear the disarm tone before entering further into the house. There are no pir's near the doorway.
I'm seriously wondering if it is my TVs aerial, as from the time I bought it, it kinda correlates with the start of the problems, so I'll do all the suggestions just in case, but I'm gonna sort the aerial and test out if there are further problems once I've shifted it. Thanks again.

I have used fobs, but not I think with the 6400. I suppose you could take a few steps and press disarm again, it might vary with position.

You can get a little remote keypad and set your own PIN. I concealed mine on the back of the hall cupboard door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back