Removal of Kitchen Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post for me, but long time reader of these forums. So I'm hopeful those of you who may know won't mind giving me their views.

The story, I'm renovating a 1950's 3 bed terrace house and have finally got to the kitchen. There is a flue in the kitchen which was capped when we moved in, which will take some valuable cupboard space in our new kitchen design and so we want to remove it. If you can see from the pictures, it essentially is a flue hanging there.

Now the detail, where you can see the brickwork is where there were 2 MDF boards used as a cheap cover - you can see expanding foam becuase it was used to fill what would have been the coal hatch through the wall. Every other coarse does tie in to the party wall, so it appears the flue supports itself. Which is probably why it hasn't collapsed when the previous owner took 6 courses off.

My query, do we think its safe currently? and is it going to hurt if i take down another 4 courses? I have my opinion, but the Mrs would rather we asked advice :)

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Shining a torch at it added nothing to the photos. Your camera flash would have been sufficient. In fact the photos are less clear from having a point of extreme brightness on them. And turn the resolution up on your camera to make the photos bigger.

Is this basically an old chimney which has been left hanging there? Can you see bricks at the bottom of it which are just held up by mortar joints? If so, this need attention. You would be as well removing the whole chimney up to the roof - this would be the most elegant solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back