Chimney Breast dampness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got a 1950's bungalow with an old oven chimney flue going into my loft but removed from where it enters the loft upwards. I have blocked off the bottom opening in the kitchen and tiled over. I basically want to know if I can fill in the flue form the loft with any old mix of plaster, cement etc and brick filling. To stop any damp that is starting to appear and just turn it into a solid wall/column and will it stop any damp.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I've got a 1950's bungalow with an old oven chimney flue going into my loft but removed from where it enters the loft upwards. I have blocked off the bottom opening in the kitchen and tiled over. I basically want to know if I can fill in the flue form the loft with any old mix of plaster, cement etc and brick filling. To stop any damp that is starting to appear and just turn it into a solid wall/column and will it stop any damp.

Thanks

No, this will only make the damp problem worse. An old chimney remains damp because it is lined with hygroscopic salts, these are a by product of the combustion process and will continually draw in moisture from the air ensuring the chimney remains damp. When you decommission an old chimney you need to ensure you have a robust air flow through the chimney from top to bottom. Back filling an old chimney stops any air flow and will almost guarantee that the chimney will remain damp. You may need to consider installing air bricks if possible? Is the chimney built into an external wall? If so then install an air brick at the highest point on the external wall and another nearer ground level. Introducing this air flow is the best thing you can do to deal with the damp though you may need to consider whether internal plastering is required if plasterwork is contaminated with salts.

thanks for this, the chimney is open at the top into the attic and the bottom of it enters the kitchen, but it is in the middle of a tiled wall above my hob, and on the other side of wall is my bathroom, so will be really difficult to put in any sort of breathing block/vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back