Removal of Omnicron 7000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I live in the house previously occupied by my parents (both now deceased) and I'm currently in the process of doing the place up.

My parents had an alarm fitted back in the 1990s (I think?) which is an Omnicron 7000. To my knowledge it hasn't worked for a good few years now but since I didn't live there for years I can't pinpoint when, or why it stopped working.

My parents did not investigate why it no longer worked or tried to have it fixed (but my father was in his 80s and caring for my mother who had Alzheimers so a faulty burglar alarm would not have been a priority of his).

I now want to remove this system (not myself) before I decorate the passageway and stairs and landing. Whoever fitted the alarm didn't run the wiring into the walls, so there's a long strip of white plastic conduit (or is it trunking?) running vertically from the side of the alarm from the skirting board to the ceiling, and there's wires running along the floor in two of the bedrooms upstairs which overlook the front of the house (revealed when the carpets were removed)

The panel is not lit anywhere, nor does it beep when any of the numbers/zones are pressed. The sensors in the downstairs rooms no longer turn red when you walk past them, the front door has been replaced so I think the sensor (or whatever it was) at the bottom of the door was removed, and if ever the power is shut off or we have a power cut the alarm doesn't come on. Basically it seems dead.

Is it an easy job to remove and get rid of the wiring? Would an electrician be able to do the job? I have found a manual online for the particular alarm which I could print out if needed.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
as the system has no power you can just cut the wires but not the MAINS cable to it make sure it has been isolated at the fused spur the open the cover and remove the wires cut them back to the length you want and remove from the wall then get a proper system installed

hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back