Removal of one outside light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have two outside light circuits, see attached photo of the switch. I want to remove one, is it simply a case of unbolting and removing the wire from the box, or should I be doing something else also? I haven’t touched outside electrics previously.

Many thanks.
1B979A88-C603-4C75-A963-E375B31E575A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean you have two outside lights - which are likely to be on the one circuit.

Just disconnect the light you don't want and also disconnect the other end of that cable and remove it.

Outside electrics do, indeed, work (electrically) the same as inside, but they come with 'water-tight' glands which are not usually found indoors, and I suspect the OP was asking about measured needed to maintain water resistance when he pulls one cable out of its gland.

Timotei: if that is your issue, you just need to find some plastic (or even wooden) rod roughly the same size as the cable you're removing, and then tighten the gland nut onto that. (my favourite for that is a bit of 'glue stick' - as in hot glue guns!_

Sponsored Links
Outside electrics do, indeed, work (electrically) the same as inside, but they come with 'water-tight' glands which are not usually found indoors, and I suspect the OP was asking about measured needed to maintain water resistance when he pulls one cable out of its gland.

Timotei: if that is your issue, you just need to find some plastic (or even wooden) rod roughly the same size as the cable you're removing, and then tighten the gland nut onto that. (my favourite for that is a bit of 'glue stick' - as in hot glue guns!_

Thanks John, nice hack with the glue stick!

What is this power you have? It never even occured to me that that's what was meant.

Why can't you apply the same to my posts? :confused:

What is this power you have? It never even occured to me that that's what was meant.
A mixture of common sense and very many years of practice at working out what people actually mean when they use incorrect/colloquial terminology, grammar or whatever.
Why can't you apply the same to my posts? :confused:
Working out what people probably mean is more difficult with some people than with others :) Not only that but I have an expectation of your being more precise/correct in what you say/write (particularly about technical matters) than is the case with many members of the general public, so I tend to take what you say/write literally, assuming that you 'meant what you wrote'!

Kind Regards, John

There is also, of course, always the option of doing it properly.

upload_2018-6-19_15-37-16.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back