outside light requiring two separate electrical circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to replace an outside light, it is an elstead az/le7. on the outside of the box it says "this fitting requires two separate electrical circuits", however inside the fitting there are only the connections for the usual N E and L. The previous fitting worked fine, the only difference is this one has a pir sensor. The only other connection inside the unit is the one from the sensor to the bulb fitting itself. Here is the question, how do I put two circuits, and why? Does it just mean I can bypass the sensor with a separate switched feed for overide purposes or does it mean something else. Any comments

Sponsored Links
hi that light will come on with the pir if you read the instructions
it should be able to switch on as a normal light by switching
supply on then off again so strait swap like for like
( when i say switch supply on and off thats from the switch or breaker
depending on your present set up

i've swapped like for like already, following the instructions but the light does not work properly, it comes on randomly and sometimes not at all i replaced the sensor as i assumed this was the problem and same thing happening, it was only after doing this that i thought that the 'two circuits' message on the box might be relevant. it is possible though that both sensors are faulty!

the light does not work properly, it comes on randomly and sometimes not at all

The over-ride feature where a PIR can be turned ON with a short interruption to the supply to the unit is useful but can also be a big dis-advantage where the power supply to the lamp is prone to interruptions and spikes. Short power cuts and other interference can turn the lamp ON when it is not needed and may even lock it to OFF when it is needed.

In these situations a PIR without over-ride is needed and if over-ride is needed a switch between LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE will provide reliable over ride control

Sponsored Links
understood, the light has no built in override so yes would need separate switch to provide one, the main question however is why the box says i require two separate electrical circuits when i can only see a reason for one

The words on the box may refer to a "separate" circuit for the over-ride function requiring a switched live from the over-ride switch to turn the lamp on manually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back