Wiring an outside light

Sponsored Links
I think there's still more to this yet, why is there 2 CPCs in the photo?

Scott, can you pull the cables down a bit more and take another picture? I think there's a chance you'll find two more red wires connected in one of these... (i.e one third of what's shown)

130123.jpg

I think there's still more to this yet, why is there 2 CPCs in the photo?
Good question.

Scott, can you pull the cables down a bit more and take another picture? I think there's a chance you'll find two more red wires connected in one of these... (i.e one third of what's shown)

130123.jpg
whssign.gif

2E9395F2-A601-49A2-B522-F34FFB4196E1.jpeg
DAA22184-514E-4ED6-94BB-1B2260E851B4.jpeg
HSorry for late reply. Just looked closer at the wiring. There are 2 x 3 core cables going to the light fitting. Red from one wire goes to the fitting, black from the other wire goes to the fitting, and both earths go to the fitting. So there is one red and one black sitting redundant.

Sponsored Links
You need to either ,follow the cables ( maybe running on top of the timbers) and look for a junction box that connect into ,or ,look in the switch at the cables .take pics of what you find. And isolate the circuit ,prove its dead ,BEFORE removing the switch plate or junction box cover and taking pics of what you expose.

Other options may include tapping into the lighting circuit at the fuse box, or connecting a switched fused spur unit from a socket circuit.

More info and pics needed.

It is a really crap job on the existing luminaire by the way. Aside from cores simply cut off, and an appalling attempt at sleeving the cpcs, the sheath also doesn't come within the accessory and the connections are rubbish with an enormous amount of exposed copper and probably loose connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back