Sensor problem in outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have some outside lights that come on and off every night automatically, triggered by a sensor that is on the top of my garage. It's a light sensor (not a motion sensor) so when it gets dark they come on and when it gets light they go off. I inherited these lights from the previous owner and there doesn't appear to be any on/off switch for the sensor or the lights.

The problem is that they are now permanently on! I have a separate fuse box in the garage and I've turned each of the fuses off independently, and they are connected to the lights inside my garage, so all go off when I trip the fuse. I've also turned the mains box off and back on again, and was hopeful that would reset it all but to no avail - and they're still on!

The added problem is that the sensor is really high up and I can't get to it, even with my ladder it's too high!

I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how I might fix this problem, or whether I've really just got to get bigger ladders and get up there!!

Sponsored Links
Can you trace the cable? There may be an isolator of some kind (such as a fused connection unit) en-route to the lights? What outcome do you want, the lights fixed or just disconnected?

I really want them fixed. I'm not sure I can trace the cable. The sensor is mounted on the wall on the outside of the top of the garage and then presumably ends up in the fuse box but they're all hidden in the ceiling (it's two storey) and behind the walls. When I trip the fuse all the lights inside the garage go off as well and they're all working fine but they must be connected to the same fuse.

Some of these lights are re-programmed by toggling power on then off quickly, and that puts the light into a different mode.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a bigger ladder and new sensor, or a friend/sparky who can change it for you. In the meantime, you could switch off at the fuse in the garage.

That senson does sound as if it is dead.
If the sensor is that inaccessable, I would fit a new one in a different place and run a new cable to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back