Sensor problem in outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have some outside lights that come on and off every night automatically, triggered by a sensor that is on the top of my garage. It's a light sensor (not a motion sensor) so when it gets dark they come on and when it gets light they go off. I inherited these lights from the previous owner and there doesn't appear to be any on/off switch for the sensor or the lights.

The problem is that they are now permanently on! I have a separate fuse box in the garage and I've turned each of the fuses off independently, and they are connected to the lights inside my garage, so all go off when I trip the fuse. I've also turned the mains box off and back on again, and was hopeful that would reset it all but to no avail - and they're still on!

The added problem is that the sensor is really high up and I can't get to it, even with my ladder it's too high!

I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how I might fix this problem, or whether I've really just got to get bigger ladders and get up there!!

SORRY - EDITING THIS AS I REALISE IT SHOULD BE IN A DIFFERENT CATEGORY BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE THIS ONE!!

Sponsored Links
One way or another you need to get the sensor replaced.

I'm not certain if your light sensor has the same function as motion sensors which you can set to be permanently on. Switching on sets it to operate via the sensor. However switching off and on again within 20 seconds or so switches it to be permanently on. Therefore if you are momentarily killing the power and switching back on you are perhaps setting to permanent on. It's worth trying killing the power for a minute or so and then switching back on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back