Outside light constantly on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago I turned off the consumer box in the Garage which controls the 2 outside lights because I wanted to go out and look at the Moon with my telescope for the next few nights.

I turned the small consumer box back on yesterday and 1 motion sensor light is functioning as it should, the other motion sensor light is on permanently and not turning off in the day or night.

So I turned the consumer unit off for 20 seconds and turned on again, same outcome.
I cleaned the sensors of spider webs etc and made sure nothing is setting the sensor off on the drive.
I turned the time the light should stay on for to it's minimum but still it stays on and made sure it is only set to come on during darkness.
Both the lights were here when I moved here and so there are no instructions and I have looked on the light and there does not appear to be a reset button.

Is there anything else I could try?

Sponsored Links
Is there a manual mode. Mine has a time control & another control for constant, dusk till dawn and PIR

There are 2 tiny dials on the underside of the motion detector.

One has a picture of a clock an this is adjusted to the amount of time the light should stay on once activated, for now I have this set at minimum.

The other dial has a crescent moon and sun picture, mine is set to come on during darkness if activated.

Many of these lamps have a means to switch them on permanently by turning the power OFF and ON one or two times in quick sucession. It might be that the switch in the consuner unit is bouncing ( power going ON OFF ON in less than a second ) when you turn it ON and this bounce may be triggering the lamp into permanent ON mode.

Sponsored Links
When we get power interruption's, I wont call them power cuts as they are a fraction of a second, one of my pir's always stays on. Just as bernardgreen states,

Many of these lamps have a means to switch them on permanently by turning the power OFF and ON one or two times in quick sucession. It might be that the switch in the consuner unit is bouncing ( power going ON OFF ON in less than a second ) when you turn it ON and this bounce may be triggering the lamp into permanent ON mode.

Yes I understand they can be turned on permanently by the method you mentioned (strange it only caused one light to do this) and this is apparently the problem I have with one for the lights.
This is why I turned the consumer unit off and gave it at least 20 seconds before turning it on again.

Last edited:
When we get power interruption's, I wont call them power cuts as they are a fraction of a second, one of my pir's always stays on. Just as bernardgreen states,

So when one of your lights always stays on, what do you do to rectify the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back