Removal of PD rights on a new build.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

New user, would be grateful for advice regarding PD rights.
We got planning for 3 new build houses, the planners removed our PD rights the exact wording -

Condition 3 no extensions, including those permitted by town country planning order 1995 (or anystatutory instrument revoking, re-enacting or amending that order), shall be carried out on the property the subject of this permission without the grant of further specific permission from the LA.
Reason: that any further additions may be considered by the local Planning Authority, having regard to the size of the dwelling, its plot and the amenities ejoyed by neighbouring occupants.

my question is can I do a loft conversion within the slopes (no dormers) and add velux even though condition 3 on the original planning was PD rights removed? My understanding is that a loft conversion within the slopes is not an extension or development. I did try to get removal of condition but they refused it. I could also add loft room within the slopes by adding a ventilaton system and no velux so there is no change to the fenestration.

Sorry for long message.

Sponsored Links
A rooflight is p.d under Class C of Part 1 of the GPDO. The implication is that these would then be prohibited if your p.d. rights have been removed.

Thanks for the reply. If I don't install rooflight but have a hab room with mech ventilation systems to comply with b regs would I still breach the conditions. I would add an internal staircase to loft. This would not constitute development addition or roof alterations. I have already intalled attic trusses and insulated slopes to meet requirements of hab room.

Sponsored Links
Building control as I need it signed off to sell them. Then I will apply for roof light. If I apply for roof light and hab room first I know neighbours will try best to stop it.

Then apply for planning permission. It's unikely the LPA could object to it on amenity grounds because it won't affect anyone.

Planners remove PD rights to control [ugly] development, not prevent development. How are building control going to pass a habitable room without a window?

Under building act they can. Mech vent allows required amount of air changes its not muppetry, its there for a reason.

Raj

Why do you feel the neighbours would object to roof lights and a habitable room in the loft space? Are there any other properties in your street with rooflights etc?

Why didn't you just include the loft conversions in the original planning application.

As tony says, just apply for planning for this change. It won't cancel your previous successful application even if you aren't successful.

The property's are now built. Reason we didnt include it was due to London plan space standard and planners wanted 5 car spaces and we could only achieve 3 so they gave us 2bed houses yet our new builds are bigger than the existing 3 beds, this is why I wanted to do room within slopes legally without planning then appky for planning only for velux and not a room. I have already done room within slopes only requires second fix and bco said he will sign it off without windows if we can provide mech ventilation for required air changes.

There are other properties with roof lights and dormers, all it is my neighbours always right in letters of objections. Dont know why...yet they try being best friends when we were on site building houses. I read there letters on council website on planning link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back