Removal of set rubber adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, perhaps you may be able to advise me with this problem. I have just removed some old formica sheeting, from the walls of my bathroom. Judging by the pattern It must have been there for around 30+ years.

Anyway, the sheeting was fixed to the wall using some sort of rubber / latex adhesive, now the sheeting is off the wall, I now need to clean the set adhesive off the wall. I have tried warming it with a hot-air gun without success. Tried steaming it off, without success. Tried cellulose thinners which did soften it enough to help with removal, but had to stop because two of my family are asthmatic and were having breathing problems. Can anybody suggest a product which will soften the adhesive but will not kill my family?

(sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure)

thanks[/i]

Sponsored Links
trouble with old glue is it sets .try 3m banner chemicals they make non solvent strippers for glues and epoxy removel , 01928597030 ;) hope this helps

Thanks for the reply billyo,

just for the record, in the end I used Nitromoors paint stripper. A messy job but I got there in the end. It softens the rubber just enough.

Great forum by the way!

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back