Removal of upvc door locking gearbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbour having trouble locking his door. Key does not turn smoothly and sometimes sticks completely (whether door is open or closed). Removed Euro cylinder which tested ok with key turning smoothly each way. Now thinking it may be the internal gearbox at fault as handles seem very floppy and latch does not spring out fully as though spring is knackered. To remove gearbox, do I completely remove the metal strip that runs from the bottom to the top of the door's front edge? It seems to be secured by self tappers. Does the gearbox come out attached to this strip? Are there any pitfalls such as loose parts falling about when I remove it from the door? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, No ( unless its split open).
Can be a pain depending on the mechanism , photo it complete unopened, then with case off, and stage by stage.

If you dont it will be a basket to rebuild.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back